Sea Shepard Conservation Society Enlists Godzilla

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by xmetalfan99, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Well said.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yeah thats what they did,intentionally try to get rammed by a HUGE ship in the middle of the Antarctic ocean. They are dumb but not that dumb.

4. cdmorrison01

cdmorrison01 Astrea Snail

+1 on what Peredhil said. Also, what kind of incompetent captain runs out of gas in the first place? These people are idiots who put lives at risk. Pleasant idea saving the whales and all, but they are using the completely wrong approach.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You guys seem really interested. Maybe you should have watched then you would know exactly what you are talking about. I am not saying I agree with there method but the message is a good one.

1 person likes this.
  6. cdmorrison01

cdmorrison01 Astrea Snail

I have watched enough to know they do things that are unsafe to the Japanese crew and less importantly to themselves. How can you call yourselves professionals when you do such reckless things?

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I just reread all my posts and I never said I have not seen the show. I watched two episodes and that was enough. The entire crew is unfit to be on a boat.

8. Click Here!

9. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

Commence rant.
    This show makes me sick! and its not only b/c of how whales are brutally captured but how childish and just plane dumb the sea shepherd's crew is. I mean between the entire crew i dont think we could find a fully operational brain at least in terms of commonsense and practical knowledge (with the exception of the pilot, maybe). ok moving on..

In this rant i will work through my thoughts as i write them and my conclusion will be reached a long the way as i work out why i am for or against whale hunting (as well as shark, or any big game ocean animals).

Many people on this wall have already stated how on the fence they are when it comes to harvesting food especially animals who display emotion and intelligence. A deer is no different than a whale in that it provides meat and with that i completely agree. Assuming that whatever it is that we humans decide to harvest for food can be kept at sustainable levels for the most part i see nothing wrong with this. However, here is where i do run into a problem. when i hunt a dear or a duck with my rifle it is one shot (sometimes two) to the shoulders and it immediately drops and struggles for only a moment which is no different than if it where hunted by a pack of wolves (perhaps even less painful). Im not sure if whales are naturally hunted and if so what kinds of whales but i can imagine that if they are hunted by sharks the take down is pretty brutal and agonizing for the whale so there isnt much difference between a harpoon and a shark. Heres my problem with hunting the big game of the ocean (whales, sharks, dolphin, ect..). quite simply, its torture, and we can make it less. capturing sharks, cutting off their fins and then kicking them back into the ocean... alive??? i mean WTH is that?? Do i need to show you video of how dolphins are killed? you can just google that one and it will make my case for me. Now with whales, there must be a better way. Harpooning them and dragging them onto the deck can take a half hour where they then die after being crushed by their own wight once on the deck. Think of a better way to kill the whale and end their suffering inside of a few minutes and i will be on board although, honestly i cant get over killing something so majestic (which has absolutely no wight in the matter and is complete opinion and even somewhat hypocritical as i eat dear and i find them to be very beautiful as well).

I am very much carnivores but if you think about the way any of our meat is harvest it is completely in-human. From cows to tuna to whatever fish mcdonalds puts on their menu is in-humane the way we go about capturing them and killing them. So i think i have contradicted myself a couple of times now, showing how difficult it is to draw a line on what we should harvest and how we do it.
    On the intelligence debate and whether or not we should hunt animals who display intelligence, thats a hard one for me. whales are clearly more intelligent than a cow or chicken as can be seen when the pack of whales morn for the loss of their own in almost a ceremonious fashion. however, making a legal argument on that foundation would be impossible as i am sure someone has a pet cow out there whose "moo" sounds like "hello" and would argue for their intelligence... and win.
    I guess all im trying to say in this ridiculous rant is how humans place value on animals based on their appearance (is it "cute" or is it "ugly") and how much we can relate to them. if we see similarities to them we have a mental block and cant bring our selves to kill/eat them (monkeys, elephants, feline species, ect...) For whatever reason i also put whales and sharks into this category but choose to leave dear out which is probably entirely do to my social environment, up bringing ect.. So as much as i cant stand the hunting of whales and sharks people should still be free to do so as long as their populations are not threatened or even close to threatened.
    All done. :-/

2 people like this.
  10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it kind of is what they did dude. i mean, how many standard safety and common sense boating rules did they break to get into the position of being in the path of a bigger ship and run out of gas in the antarctic no less. I can hardly call that an accident. There are words I could use, but accident is not one of them.

I expect that sort of thing from my teen-age nephews. Not from adults though. With people's lives in their hands.

I do agree with you though in essence. They were most likely to dumb to realize the trajectory their actions (and in-actions) were taking them on. That is only maybe very slightly removed from intentional IMO.

Also, giant post above - nicely said. I agree.

11. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

Thats freaking ridiculous do you people see there new boat HA

yeah they prob did get purposely rammed so they could tell the media and make them sound bad.

12. jkuja913

jkuja913 Spaghetti Worm

The crew of the Ady Gil knew for a long time the risk they were taking. They knew how low the diesel level on there ship was. They intentionally set out away from the boat carrying there extra fuel to chase after the whaling fleet. Even though they were extremely low on fuel, they were not out of fuel. You can clearly see that the boat is still under power when it is run over. In fact, from some of the angles it appears that the ady gil powers towards the shonan maru.

They portray the people working on those ships as horrible murderous killers, when in all reality they are just normal people trying to do there job. I think that really all sea shepherd manages to accomplish is create a false negative image of the Japanese and part of there culture.