Sea Shepard Conservation Society Enlists Godzilla

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by xmetalfan99, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

My personal opinion is that we have over harvested just about everything in the ocean.

I think all the sea life, including whales, needs some time without us pesky humans.

Having said that, us in the US have a weird diversion to eating most animals (dogs, cats, horses, whales and for a lot of people things I eat semi routinely like snakes and squirrels).

So I get that we get up in arms about it, but we shouldn't get too in the face of other cultures who do eat these things. Meat is meat.

The whole dolphin bashing thing (ugh, it turns my stomach) on that Japanese island is terrible - but that's a moral thing. It's not that they're killing/eating the dolphins, IMO, it's how they do it.

I think fish are incapable of being unhappy. I don't mind poking at their eyes when they are on the floor of my boat. But a dolphin, like a whale, IMO, realizes disaster is afoot.

The way I understand whale killing is harpoon it, and otherwise harass it for quite some time before it finally dies on account of their size. That I have a problem with.

Anyway, I bounce back and forth and am partly on both sides here... so I think I'm just rambling :)

I can't stand sea shepard and I do not watch that show. Or support it in any way whatsoever.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

If your rambling peredil
    then Ill echo most of what you have said

I have made a transition from Western society to an Asain one
    and I have consumed things that I would have been disgusted at the thought of eating
    12 years ago

I was raised having typical English food values - Cows, Pigs and Chickens are food
    Dogs and Rabbits are pets.

It took some adjusting
    Snake- the 1st time I ate it - I was pleasantly surprised
    Dog - the same experience, once I got past the emotional obstacle

in some Asian culture - if its edible, it will be eaten - there is minimal waste

I totally agree with you in the respect of what other people eat is no concern of mine

but , how they go about capturing that food, does bother me, if I allow myself to ponder on it

Steve

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've made my comments on this issue before so I won't bother repeating it. These guys are so stupid that everything they try fails.....every time. There's something to be said for, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". There needs to be a saying like, "If you've tried, tried, and tried 1000 times and you still failed.....you're just stupid and you need to give up". I do think it's hilarious that they throw Butyric acid at the whalers. OMG, have you ever smelled that? It makes me throw up.

To give you an idea how stupid these people are, they risk their lives to get close enough to throw the Butyric acid on their boat. If anyone from the Sea Shepard is reading this thread, stop risking your life and spend $20 instead. I've done the work for you....look at this link. water baloon slingshot - Google Search

5. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

haha Agreed! I think they probably waste SO much money breaking their boats and sailing back to port a million times.

6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I agree with Steve (I think all of my posts should just automatically start with that..) and Peredhil. They have been doing it for hundreds of years. Just because it doesn't seem right to us gives us no right to change what they do. I'll admit that I think there are better, more readily available food sources they could choose from, but if that's what they want to do, that's fine.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Japan and China are not only fishing the waters immedately off their coast, why? Because they have fished them almost dry, are we going to allow them to do the same to the rest of the world's oceans?

You do not have to be an extremist or strict vegetarian. Working with marine mammals make you question the ethics behind such hunting practices. The bottom line for me is that it is not humane and we can not state for certain that the numbers will rebound or remain sustainable.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jkuja913

jkuja913 Spaghetti Worm

Everyone has got there own opinion, thats what make the world go round. All i know is the idiots on the tv show make it very, very entertaining ha ha. If i was dead set on "saving the whales" i can say that the sea shepherd organization would be the LAST place i would be donating my money. I'm sure they do good things, but just based off watching that show, i wouldn't want them spending my money. I can find far better ways to spend it... :p

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

in a slightly related off topic comment

I saw a preview for a new free willy movie with Steve Irwin's daughter. (this may be old news, but new to me). Anyway, I'll probably watch that just to support her. I hope she turns out like her dad. He was awesome. RIP dude.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

amen

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

What is the difference between hunting marine and land mammals? What about the overfishing or sardines and other marine fish used to make fish meal in our fish foods and aquaculture facilities? If anything, those fish need more protecting than the whales.

I agree with Steve as well. Cultures should not have to change just because other cultures feel that the food source is grotesque or unneeded. However, the harvesting of animals needs to remain humane.

I don't see anyone going nuts over the harvest of shark fins for soup. To many people see sharks as vicious killers of the ocean. At least with the whales that use all of the animal. 73million per year is a hell of a lot more than 900.

That was an awful movie.

Who would have thought a sting ray would get him. I mean really, of all the venomous and potentially deadly creatures he poked and prodded, a sting ray kills him in a freak accident.