Sea Apple Natures Tank Killers or Beautifiers?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by dumbderk, Mar 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. taenhago

taenhago Plankton

no problem

I am by no means an expert on anything! I have had three sea apples (still do) for many years)

Here is what I have learned/recommend if you want to keep them healthy:

Sea apples will not tolerate water temperate above 76 degrees for more than a few hours (a chiller is a must)

I keep my tank between 72 and 75 degrees.

You must feed them phytoplankton (good quality) every day After the daylight light are off. I have not found Marine Snow to be of food value to sea apples.

Sea apples feed at dawn/dusk and night, if you see them feeding during daylight hours, they are not getting enough food (occasional feeding, or feeding arms out for a short time in daylight is OK)

Be wary of “reef safe” wrasses. They are not always safe for invertebrates!!

Nitrates should never exceed 15 ppm

It is a myth that you cannot move them. Every once in a while mine decide to “walk” to some ridiculous place in the tank. Here is what I have found to work: Turn off the filters and pumps. Carefully pull them away from the problem area. They attach themselves with a lot of power, so do not be alarmed if it seems like you are ripping them apart! Remove from the “bottom” first, never pull the sides or top). Place them in an area where they get good moderate water flow and gently hold them against the sand or rock where you want them. They will attach quickly. Once they attach, turn on the pumps and filter

Power heads inside the tank, must have sponge filter around the intakes.

Do not be alarmed if they start to take on weird shapes, they are fine as long as they are not folding in on themselves.

Sea apples should feel firm and plump to the touch. If they start to flatten, or feel “mushy” they are in trouble and should be removed from the take immediately!

All in all, despite the effort, I love them, just got an Australian sea apple that is so beautiful! I love them and find them worth the effort

FYI, I have a 28 gallon nanocube!

2. Click Here!

3. lilediegirl

lilediegirl Plankton

New Apple

I purchased a beautiful sea apple about a week ago and after reading everything I can find online, I don't seem to find an answer to my question.

He was open and beautiful for the first few days and after reading their dietary requirements, I've been using a turkey baster and giving him plankton, marine snow (now I read isn't the best) and other soupmix of food. Now, yesterday and today, he seems to have "deflated" to look similar to a purple suasage or sometimes only his head or bottom is inflated. He hasn't been the round beautiful oblong ball. Also, more worrysome, he doesn't seem to open his feeder tentacles except about 5pm he opens a little...not fully out. Does this mean he's good and doesn't need more food or he's not good at all and I should remove before he "nukes" the tank?

I did read in one article that a measure of a good apple is to see them deficate. I did see it once about two days after I got him, but not within the last few days.

oh...specs...75gal, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites = 0, phosphate a little high (poss due to excess food for the apple) = .25ppm. PH = 8.3. I have a chiller...runs about 75-76. Other tank mates...(none seem to pay any nevermind to the apple) Dwarf angel, 6line wrasse, maroon clown, mandarin goby.

Any help would be great!