SCWD or Wave timer

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by rashr, Jan 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rashr

rashr Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I currently have a Red Sea wave maker and 3 MJ1200 in my 55 gal. tank with corals, inverts, and fish. I am going to be upgrading my sump pump from a 300 gph to either a MAG 7 or MAG 9.5. The question on my mind....do I go ahead and get the SCWD and plumb for that and get two of my MJ1200s out of the tank? I think I would like the SCWD but the wavemaker's options (feeding, night time mode) are great. However, not having 2 PHs in the tank would look better.....Man I spent hours last night debating this while looking at my tank and the current flows (really happy with them by the way). I guess with all of my rambling is.....if you have a SCWD do you like it? Is it worth getting the PHs out? I have this money invested in PHs and wavemaker and don't want to jump on something I may not be happy with, but like I said earlier....would love to get those PHs out of the tank. Also while I have your attention, which pump would you suggest with a 55 gal. I have around 4.5 feet of head pressure so the MAG7 would be around 500 gph and the MAG 9.5 would be 800 gph. Of course this is before plumbing and possibly the SCWD....Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Being that I hate the Red Sea wavemaker(cheaply made) and two of my outlets stopped working on the unit after a very short period of time! My neighbor, who is an electrician, says it is a cheap piece of equipment! So I canned that waste of over $100.00!

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Well I've had equal experiences with the SCWD That CR had with the wave maker. I have used both and after 2 months the SCWD sized and never worked again.

I have had nothing but good experiences with my Wave Maker

J

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I still have to set up my wave2k that I bought five months ago!

6. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

well to get back to flow, lol, I think you should keep the power heads in the tank. You can hide them behind some rock, and use them to free up dead spots. I havent used either of the wavemakers that you talked about, so I dont have an opinion about how they work. I have a "natural wave" system, with 3 maxi-jet 1200's, and it works good, just kinda hard on the power heads. I got the whole kit for 80 bucks, so if it goes out, Ill just be out like 20 bucks for the wave maker timer.
    Good luck, and keep us up to date,

Michael

7. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

I've never used either, I use two 3/4 inch sea swirls. They have been working like a charm for three years. Just recently I added a DIY spray bar for a little extra flow. Personally I don't care for the look of power heads in my aquarium.