screw canopy?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by hoodoo, Oct 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well, I'm not going to argue :) Certainly use metal screws that wont corrode, that's obvious :)

I have been making timber furniture etc for a while and hardly ever use glue where I feel disassembly may be required in the future.

Jay, If you seal the timber properly you wont get the distortion problem you wrote about, however if it did distort, believe me a glue joint would crack first and without the mechanical fixing of screws ( or other fasteners ) the whole thing would fall to bits :)

Anyway JMHO, and have fun :)

John

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Well I'm definitely not a Carpenter but I had an Idea. Obviously you would want to use a screw that won't rust. Could you go a step further and counter sink the screw then put wood filler putty over the screw? Is wood filler stainable? I believe it is. You wouldn't be able to disassemble but is would make a clean look and keep moister out.

4. jay

jay Guest

As John stated no arguments here, just my opinion.

But like John, I have been doing carpentry for some time now. Mostly cabinetry, as it is sort of the family thing (Mom runs production for a cabinet factory, both uncles run thier own cabinet shops, grandfather does it for fun, dad is the odd ball as he builds musical instruments).

Never said the glue joint wouldn't crack if the wood destorted. I just said that the glue helps the piece behave a single unit as the wood breaths. And no matter how you seal it wood breaths.

Don't supose you get my man Norm on the telly down your way John?
    "and don't forget to wear these, your most important piece of saftey equipment, your saftey glasses" (sorry one of my all time favorite quotes)

jay

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nope Jay, haven't seen my man Norm on the TV over here, but I assume it's a comedy?

John :)

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Sounds like he is referring to "Cheers"!

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

OK, I remember cheers, the dopey bartender was my fav. :) Also liked the episode where Frasier tried to explain " the tale of 2 cities"

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Well which was it?

John

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Or maybe Norm Abrams from This Old House? John :-/

10. jay

jay Guest

Fletch got it. Well close anyway. He does a TV show (The New Yankee Workshop) where he builds a lot of reproduction antique furniture, amoung other things. I just thought as a person who like to build furniture you might have seen it, but I didn't know if it was broadcast there. If you run across it on DVD or something check it out it is a really great show.

11. juanhunglo69

juanhunglo69 Plankton

I am forever doing woodwork and could not fathom not using wood glue on my projects. Just built a hood, and would almost be willing to take the screws out and let the glue do its job but there is that just in case factor. Use wood glue. UNLESS you plan on taking it apart. I am on my way back to Iraq in 2 weeks but if I get time I will do a DIY thread showing my whole tank from top to bottom. As a matter of fact I will try to do it starting tonight. I have it on another forum but it is the wrong kind of forum considering that my tank is 150 gallons and the forum is for smaller tanks.