Scooter Blenny FOTM - August '08

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by omard, Aug 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Yep, think you are right after second thoughts, think it is going into main tank. :-/

Will look for pair of citron gobies or something along that line for pico...:)

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Will not be going in till grows up a bit...is very small. My snowflake dreams about fish this size...:p

1 person likes this.
  4. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

hey great post omard. i just picked up a scooter bout 3 weeks ago. check her out. kinda wish i got a male but she did have the best red/pink coloration from the litter.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

I think they are realated to the mandarin, very similar, great addition Omard, but you'll have to dose pods in a small tank for him to eat on. I was debating on a red scooter or a mandarin for my tank, but the mandarin won.

6. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I am waiting until my tank is ready but I want to get a Mandarin Dragonet once it is ready. However I am really liking this Scooter Blenny. Could they be together?

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I would be extremely concerned about competition for same food source, especially in a newer and smaller tank.

But if larger, more mature tank, should be no problem at all keeping together...

Mandarins seem to like to crawl up and around in rock.

So far the Scooter blenny likes to stay near or on bottom sand...probably will continue to do so as long finds plenty to eat.

Should not be too likely their paths will cross...

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

omard i also have a lil citron goby, now that would be fine in your pico, mine does not even move from his corals(or should i say corals)since he has takin claim to almost all of them.

maybe your eel wont eat the scooter in the main tank i think they have a toxic slime coat. but not positive. it seems to be visible in the morning when they come out of the sand they can keep the sand stuck to its body for a quite some time while he roams the rocks, then he seems to beable to release the sand all at once, when he pleases.

any one else ever see this?

woops my mistake its not a citron its Gobiodon okinawae

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

This is a cool pic omard.
    [​IMG]

11. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

A scooter was my 1st fish--I know stupid!!!! When I got home I found out it was a dragonette and packed. I ordered live mysis shrimp, spent more money on live food for it. Now she eats brine shrimp, blood worms, mysis shrimp [all frozen] and of course the little guys that are in the tank. She is fat and happy. A note they will hop all over the bottom and the rocks and the glass as they become more comfortable in their new home, also they change color with what they are around.

12. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

A scooter was my 1st fish--I know Stupid!!!! I panicked when I realized that she was a dragonette. I order live mysis shrimp and other live foods. Now she eats frozen mysis, brine shrimp, blood worms and today she was eating the cyclops. She also eats the stuff in the tank. Note: they hop all over the tank, the rocks, the glass as the get used to the tank. They also change their colors with their surroundings, get pale at night in the sand, more red and purple around the live rock.