sargasm overgrowth

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Leesa, Jun 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Hey guys,
    I am curious about what to do, if anything, about this brown seaweed-looking stuff that is taking over my tank. I believe it is called "sargasm". I am hoping it wil run it's course. I've only had my tank set up for about 4 months and the articles that I have read about the "sargasm" said that it will probably run it's course and die out in about six months. The only problem that I find is that it is popping up everywhere. I have been plucking and pruning but it just keeps coming back. Also, now some of the older plants even have little berry things on them.

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i had it to for a while the only thing you can do is keep pruning. it wil eventually wear itself out. to make it easier on your self just prune the really long stuff then wehn the rest grows prune that. just have some patience with it. it will go away eventually

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Leesa, do you have any grazers in your tank who might help? What is your tank size/set-up?

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

No critters can controll it (I mean keep up with it), fish have a hard time even. I'd just pull it out, you don't want it to "run its own course" as that would lead to nutrient release from the macro instead of exportation if you harvest yourself before it goes to spore (asexual) on you. A rabbit fish could probably do the job, but man that would be a lot of extra fish poop.