Santa Monica100 Algae scrubber!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Thatgrimguy, Aug 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

From a thread here on 3reef!!

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Hard to say on Pod growth. My gut says nothing significant though. But who knows. I always have such a hard time spotting pods, and I don't have a lot of pods in the tank anyhow to start breeding in the scrubber. The tank is still pretty new (finished cycle in late June)

I like biopellets and I like this. I think the risk is lower overall with this form of filtration. You really can't screw this up. Worse case scenario with an algae scrubber is if you don't clean it it can cloud the water (from the algae strands breaking) But as long as you maintain it, it's pretty darn fool proof.

If I get to a point that my results plateau before I get to ULNS for my sps then I will look into running Dr. Tims new pellets. Overall though, an algae scrubber gets the same results as a carbon source (reduction of N and P) but also gives a ton of side benefits that pellets do none of, such as stabilizing PH, pod growth, removal of c02 and heavy metals etc...

4. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Thanks Grim! I ponder if once you have your hair algae growing in there if you actually threw some tiggerpods in there if they would grow?

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

If you never had hair algae in your tank to begin with (from accidental introduction via hitchhiking or purposely for whatever reason) then there is no way it will just "appear" on your screen. It's not like bacteria that "appears" when cycling a tank, algae has to be introduced. I remember seeing a site that sold algae seeded screens for ATS's but can't find it for the life of me. If you never get a nice thick "turf" to grow you could contact someone who has one up and running and get them to mail you some hair algae when they harvest their screen. I have this stuff growing nice and thick in my overflow so I am planning on rubbing that all over my screen when I start. lol

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Hair algae will grow without introduction. You are thinking of bryopsis. Turfs are more for bucket style dump systems, though they will grow on waterfall scrubbers as well. Inland aquatics sells seeded screens, but they are for bucket systems like the one the sell. Most people who diy just start with fresh empty screens. It just takes time.

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Ah that makes sense. You have your SM 100 on the back rim of your tank right? How did you hang it to the back and how did you set up the drain. I'm trying to figure out if I could run one with just one pump and no overflow or sump setup. Sort of like a HOB ATS if you will.

Also I would like to thank you again for your help. I feel ATS is right for me and would love to incorporate one into my system. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so I can build this thing at minimal cost and maximum efficiency.

8. Click Here!

9. cain

cain Astrea Snail

inland aquatics, they sell a seeded screen, beware of the price, it's like they are robbing you at gunpoint!

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Ok, Been a bit! Sorry for that. Had a lot of real life going on lately. I cleaned it last sunday and had some definite green hair, but it was very strange... This is the 2 week growth shots. Almost all diatoms are gone and I am testing .005ppm Phos and barely any color on the red sea low end nitrate test!!! It's done exactly what I wanted it to do and takes so little maintenance its crazy. Easier to clean than my skimmer cup (or at least as easy)

[​IMG]

This side has less growth than the other because I screwed up and left the light off for a couple days when I was taking some pictures of the halfway growth.
    [​IMG]

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

[​IMG]

Ahhh, I missed this. Sorry! I just set it on the rim of the tank and it's been fine. I used a really weird piece to stop the bubbles that I don't understand how it even worked!! You can see it in the picture above I actually had 3 more pieces I was going to add, but the bubbles stopped after just that one weird piece of pvc.

You can seen FloydRTurbo a message, I'm pretty sure he's using a scrubber on a sumpless set up.