Sanfransico Bay Brand....

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by 4phish, Sep 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Isn't PE mysis a freshwater shrimp?

2. Click Here!

3. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

I use this. My fish and shrimp seem to like it. Mysis and Krill mix.

Brian

4. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Yes it is. It is clean though and I have been using it for a year with no problems. Fish are pig fat compared to when I gave them Hikari mysis.

[​IMG]

5. blackraven1425

Now that you posted the package, I want you to notice something (because I sure did). They mention that the values given are "from dry weight". So, of course they have the highest protein level; they don't tell you what the moisture content is, like every single other brand! It's around 85-95% in every other brand.

So, now that we're talking about even numbers, H2OLife is 80.3% protein, SFBB is 82.8% protein, Hikari is 77.7% protein, and Ocean Nutrition is 81% protein. The fact is, PE is the mysis shrimp with the lowest protein content out of all of them once the numbers aren't skewed in their favor!

6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I'm glad you noticed that too. Where did you get those dry weight measurements? I'm curious why this is the way it is now. The PE shrimps are big, but that means nothing as far as I am concerned. This smells fishy.

7. blackraven1425

What I did was add the numbers given for protein, fat, and fiber, and use that as the total. For example, for SBB:

Ingredients: Mysis Shrimp
    Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein 4.60% min. Crude Fat 0.45% min. Crude Fiber 0.50% max. Moisture 93.0% max.
    4.6 / 4.6 + .45 + .5 = percent protein

It's going to be off, since the numbers given for protein and fat are minimums, while fiber is a maximum. I'm working under the assumption that they're both at the minimum levels.

The difference between 100% and those numbers is 1.45%. So, with protein at the maximum possible of 6.05%, it could be 86% protein. With the minimum protein listed and maximum fat, it's 65%. 21% is a big variance.

I did notice, just after writing the rest of this, that Ocean Nutrition, on foster and smith, has a listing for its dry protein level at 61.5%. That may mean they assume the lowest value for protein, and highest for fat, when calculating the dry numbers.

The real point was to emphasize that the PE numbers aren't readily comparable to other numbers, and they don't tell you anything about the ratio of food to water contained in the package, like the others do. I can tell you that H2OLife is 87.8% maximum moisture, which makes it among the most dense mysis preparations. Hikari is 85%, Ocean Nutrition is 97%, and SBB is 93%.

That makes ON the worst, pound for pound, and Hikari the best, at least at their guaranteed numbers. Any of these companies can do a lower percentage, but that's the number they have to meet, so a given batch of ON can potentially be a higher density than Hikari, but there's nothing saying that will ever be the case.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

mysis,nori,cyclopes seems to work best for me

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

PE Mysis is preferred and widely sold around here.