SAND ?!?!

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Guest, Sep 8, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

The sandblasting sand is a lot finer than the Aragonite sand is, but it is an industrial quartz type of sand.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

4. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Thanks Craig, I was talking to the MGR of the LFS, and she told me that they only recommend 1 inch of sand and that 3 to 4 inches will not do me any good.

5. Craig Manoukian

The vast majority of successful hobbiests have a DSB of 4' - 6' to provide adequate bacteria for denitrification. The more sand the more denitrifying bacteria. A DSB and live rock combine for the most effective biofiltration available.

6. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

That is what I have been finding out, but she was very adminant, when I told her that I wanted a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 DSB. So I just agread with her and left the store. I am now whating for payday to order 3 bags of sand from -http://www.purearagonite.com/home.html-

7. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Will live rock live thourgh the start up cycle?

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

for a sand bed i have about a 3 1/2" bed in mine and have had no major problems with it

10. Craig Manoukian

Yes, if the live rock is already cycled, then there will be a period of time before the sand can be seeded with bacteria. This may or may not create a minicycle. As you slowlystart adding fish and inverts to your tank, the ammonia they produce will cause a minicycle that will cause the bacteria to increase in number to denitrfy the bioload. This is why we go slow because it takes time for your ecosystem to self adjust. Happy reefing and post some pics of your system!

11. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Thanks all for the help, I will start the way I use to, but with sand, a filter and black mollies.

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

theres a better way to cycle then with black mollies use table shrimp like you get from the grocery store. peel n eat kind take 2 or 3 and throw them in the tank best way to cycle, no harm to the fish.