sand

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by NUGIO, Dec 25, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

as soon as i get a dual over flow box. one to the sump one to fuge and another return pump. not sure what size return pump I would need ie: how much flow?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You need to match the overflow GPH to the flow of the return pump. This link will give you a good starting point:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-09/nftt/[/b] [b]HTH[/b]

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I would not use 2 over flow boxes. you really don't want that much flow through the refugium. Have 1 over flow to the sump area and the a small pump to refugium and pvc pipe back to clean water side of sump.

5. NUGIO

I was going to put a 1" ball valve to control flow. The option you suggested will not work for me as Ive already put in the fuge. cant drill tank

Attached Files:

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

7. Craig Manoukian

I have a sump/refugium with my flow from the display tank going to the sump, to the refugium, and then through the return to my display. The reasoning is that the "treated" water fromthe refugium will take the beneficial elements fron the macro algae back to the display.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to consider having your prefilter feed the sump while moving your skimmer to the sump. Then plumb your flow to the refugium and back to the display.

8. Click Here!

9. NUGIO

ok this is what i was thinking.............. dual over flow ...1 to sump where skimmer, heater,return pump are. then back to main tank.  

#2  over flow outlet to refugium having its own return to main tank.  they would not  interact with each other meaning sump/refug thus all benefical elements would go directly to main tank

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I would not do it that way. it will take twice as long to get the water from the refugium over to the skimmer. shoot it all down to the sump and over to the ref then back to the tank would be better than having 2 returns back to the tank. IMO

11. Craig Manoukian

I agree with dave on his comments here! Good advice IMHO.

[​IMG]

This is the syphon feed from the display tank nd the skimmer compartment. My flow is from right to left in the 29 gallon long converted to the sump refugium.[/b]

12. Craig Manoukian

This is the refugium which is fed from the skimmed water and the return compartment.

[​IMG]