Sand Stirring

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Scoffer, Oct 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

OK lets assume the filter is good and you are not adding silicates to feed the Diatoms.. Is there anyway you might mis-identifying this ? And then lets assumes it is a cyano problem starting to develop. Thats where I was going with the depth and type of bottom strata. Is it only appeaing on the very bottom of the tank or all over the rocks from bottom to the top. Then I'd look to the water circulation in the tank and see if thats the cause ....

2. Click Here!

3. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

Tangster, it does seem pretty definately diatom. Its very dusty, when disturbed from the sand bed, forms clouds. I do get some on the walls though. As far as circulation goes I have the 900 gph split into two coming from the return, a 900 gph blowing across the bottom back L-R, and a tunze 6060 blowing top front L-R. the tunze is on all day only going off a couple of times for 20 mins. the other PH cycles i think every 30 mins. Im not sure if pictures will help, ill try this eve

4. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

When nitrogen builds up on the sand bed is that what the brown color comes from?

5. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

no i dont think that it is related. I did a 15% water change yesterday and plan to do several more over the next week or so. see if this helps.

6. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

I did recently switch from instant ocean to oceanic. Could this be related?

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Ok How About If You Have A 2inch Aragonite Crushed Coral Substrate? Should You Vacuum It Or Should You Stir/turn Over The Substrate And Syphon Out The Debris? Everyone Always Advises On Sand But What About Other Substrates Or No Substrate?

8. Click Here!

9. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

I think i may have found my problem. noticed last night that the joint on my return was leaking. So water was being pumped back into the overflow!! and only a small amount was actually being cycled through the sump. I noticed my total amm had risen to 0.1mg/l and didnt know why. Probobly cause the skimmer was only skimmer a fraction of what it should be. Im not sure why this would cause the diatoms though, probobly just that the resettle back on the sand instead of being skimmed out i guess. thanks for the help everyone, looks like it was just my fault after all

10. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

nope, that wasnt the cause. I dont get it. I have had this damm diatom problem for almost a month now!! My water is tested O TDS on two separate meters, and these damm things wont go away. Its alight brown dusting on the sand and glass. Anybody?

11. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

phosphates?? whats ur nitrate and phosphate levels? When my phosphate level gpes up, diatoms appear in mine. might not be the cause, or might, but they always seem to come together. (I was feeding Publics fresh shrimp, which is hosed down with phosphates at the time of catch, ouch!!!)

Maybe nitrate or phosphate sponge...

Scoffer

12. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

Scoffer, I have not measured phosphates. Nitrates and nitrites are zero. Free amm is .1ppm. I do use a phospahte sponge though. Its driving me crazy