sand sifting starfish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by aquagirl, Dec 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquagirl

aquagirl Plankton

I bought a sandsifting star about two weeks ago and at that time the girl made a coment about if it climbs the glass something is wrong ....is this true? because it has been buried since i purchased it till this morning and it is indeed climbing the glass is that a bad sign and if it is what can i do........thanks in advance for any reply

2. Click Here!

3. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

Mine climbs occasionally. I had one in a non DSB and he was climbing and out exploring way more (probably less comfortable and a little hungrier). So I redid the tank (the pet store held it for us) and once the sand bed was established we put him back in and now he only comes out when I scrub the glass. Other than that he'll surface and bury himself about once a week.

4. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Mine seems to make an occasional climb but I've never had any trouble with him

5. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

how deep of a sand bed do they require?

6. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

mine climbs sometimes, also. when i initially put him in, he did'nt surface for about 3 weeks. i thought he was dead.then one day, surprise!! i'm no expert, but i don't think it's a problem

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

8. Click Here!

9. Bryants

Bryants Plankton

starfish problems

I noticed that my sand sifting starfish had one leg out of the sand and copods where eating on it, just the other day I had found a spot on the leg of the starfish that looked bleached white. Could something have stug him and now it is letting the copods eat it off, Because the only part of the starfish out of the sand was the spot that was bleached white... can anyone help me with this please.....

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

IME Sand sifting Starfish normally starve in the aquarium.It is possible it got stung by a coral but I would keep a close eye on it as they make a mess of the tank when they die.:cry:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  11. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Yes, Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't die on you and rot in the tank..

12. Bryants

Bryants Plankton

Thanks for the advice, will keep a close eye on him....