Sand Sifting Starfish looks like its gonna explode

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by smiley, May 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I can guess and say "no skimmer"....

2. Click Here!

3. smiley

smiley Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Nope i do have a skimmer but i have had a very bad experience before when i had mistakenly switched off the skimmer during the maintenance of the tank in the night...The next morning my Naso..my Yellow Wrasse(Whom i had seen very less after putting in my tank)...my 2 clowns...all gasping on the bottom...i thought the Naso will never get thru...I suddenly noticed that the Skimmer was off..I switched it on and added this airstone...within half an hour all'z well ....PHEW!

So just keeping a backup so that it doesnt happen again...i donot have a sump and that is why i am using the airstone directly in the tank...

4. reefsurfing

reefsurfing Astrea Snail

+1 on eating something large b/c i have never ever seen something like that.

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

The actual air bubbles from that stone do very little, what its doing is pulling water up to the surface, wich is where you get your gas exchange, and that helps. But you can just adjust a power head to get some surface movment and do the same. Not that the air stone is going to hurt anything, just some other options.

6. smiley

smiley Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yah maybe that way i can rise my pH too ?

7. TreborSkoorb

TreborSkoorb Plankton

What became of your starfish?

What became of your starfish? I have 2 that are doing the same thing right now? One looks like it is definitely going to explode!