Sand or no sand???

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by omgiv, Oct 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it would be worth it to have sand in my refugium. The refugium section of my sump is about 9 X 12 and the baffle is 7" tall. I have read that a DSB needs to be 3-4 inches. At 4 inches, that only leaves 3 before it reaches the top of the baffle. I plan on putting rock rubble, chaeto, and mangroves in the refugium. Would it be better to forgo the sand all together if it isn't a DSB and add more rock rubble? Which would be more beneficial...a DSB or more rock rubble? Thanks in advance!!!!

Regards,
    Ivy

2. Click Here!

3. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    good question, i don't know wich would be more benificial for your system but i would skip the sand and stuff as much rock etc as you can in there,or even bioballs if you arent going to be viewing it much.it's much easier to remove rock later on than sand. if you do go with sand make sure your baffles are strong enough to take the added pressure, i had one blow out once(with sand) and it was a real headache to clean up

4. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

i went the rubble route myself .. the guy i bought it from had sand .. i never got all the sand out :( it was a pain

5. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks guys. I think that my baffle would hold up to the pressure, but that is a very good point. I am thinking that I might just fill it with rubble. I think the chaeto and mangroves will be fine with that. Thanks!!!!

6. HardCor

HardCor Astrea Snail

how about Caulerpa?

7. saltydog64

saltydog64 Plankton

HardCor,

IMP...NO to the Caulerpa as it "could" get into the main tank and cause a mess...stick to the chaeto and NO sand. I just cleaned my refugium and when first setup (about a year ago) I started w/a piece of chaeto the size of a baseball and just removed a chunck the size of a baskeball....and there was an "huge" amount of deterious on the bottom which if I had sand in there would've been impossible to "clean-out"...So why introduce one more neutrent trap to your system...

8. Click Here!

9. HardCor

HardCor Astrea Snail

Your right , whatever works for you.Caulurpa just happens to work for me and a few of my friend who has strictly SPS use it with no problem at all.but if it concern you Just Don't Do It , its better to have that piece of mind in this Hobby