Sand or No Sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Ashevillian, Dec 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

to get rid of the dust algae that grows on my glass, i haven't cleaned my glass in about a month or so. from what i heard you can let it "die off" and it will not come back, but if you scrape it - then it just floats around and grows back on the glass (notice it doesnt grow on rocks or back of tank)

PS- not sure if this even works, seems like the film algae is winning thus far!

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i have found it to be quiet a problem, when you clean the glass make sure you are cleaning it all, what i mean is look at the clean glass closely, if you see little pecks still on the glass use a razor blade cleaner to finish it off and the algae will take a long time in returning.

4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

i hate razor blades because they rust up on me in 2 or 3 days after i use them!

but i know what you mean, sometimes it is hard to see if you've actually scrapped every bit off or if you've missed a spot, (kind of like mowing the lawn!)

5. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I'm kinda middle of the road on sand beds. I like a couple inches of fine aragonite, and some sand sifters along with the normal "bugs". It stays nice and clean and looks good. I don't like the looks of bare bottom, and a DSB (although they work great) can be a potential disaster.

6. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Yeah that's me too. Everything in moderation. I like a 2" mixture of fine and corse sand.