Sand or No Sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Ashevillian, Dec 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I agree with that.

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Try living 5 min away from a beach. The stuff is like herpes it's everywhere! All in my car, bed, shower, it stays in your hair for ever. It's unavoidable in Florida. Lol I hate the beach now. Seriously I only go near it if I fish. I refuse to goto a beach for pleasure. (I have fair skin so I burn anyway.) I had a few good yrs back in the day at the beach but I've had it. I hate when family visits cuz I'm obligated to show them the beach. My aunt has never seen it till recently n it blew her mind. Funny how I take it for granted. Lol

4. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

U think adding it would affect a tank more than removing it? I think not, but I also don't know for sure. Lol if I was adding sand to a BB. I would gradually add a few lbs a day. As to not 1. Flood the tank due to displacement 2.shock the system with the addition of new stuff.

Anyone have experience with adding sand to an established tank? What did you do? Just curious

5. SwimsWithFish

LMFAO! I have sand in my hair for weeks after a good day at the beach.

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I added another 20lb of Live sand to my tank that already had 20lb sitting in it after the tank about about 6months old. It took the new sand fine, lost some water but not much. The tank stayed cloudy for a few days but it all settled then I had to turkey baste my rocks to get the sand out of the crevices. Someone here said that corals, fish, ect are used to water becoming cloudy with sand due to storms, currents, ect so they handled it very well. I honestly think moving your LR causes more stress on the tank then added a 20lb bag of Live sand all at once.

I miss the beach, I grew up in Clearwater, FL and now I live in Asheville, NC. Big change to go from the flats of florida to the blueridge mountains. Both are beautiful but I sure do miss all the amazing life, and good times sea-kayaking and jet skiing in the tampa bay!

7. SwimsWithFish

This is how you do it without even having to rinse.

1 fill a water bottle with sand
    2 put bottle in tank and squeeze out the sand onto the bottom keeping the open end of the bottle facing down.
    (you do all this with water already in tank.)

All of the small debris that clouds the water is trapped at the top.http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri#/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8

Sorry if the link doesn't work. If it doesn't just go onto YouTube and look up "how to clean aquariumsand the easy way."

8. Click Here!

9. Beachbreak

Beachbreak Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

You guys need to go pick up the new issue (Nov/Dec) of Coral. It has an excellent issue on DSBs. Even has a section on dispelling all the myths surrounding them.

I've got a sand bed on my cube that I have NEVER vacuumed and there is no detritus accumulation that can be seen. Between my CUC and all the critters in my sand it all gets taken care of. This tank runs about a 3" sand bed on it. The image is cropped (only one in my photobucket account) I'll try and take another one this evening showing the bed
    [​IMG]

I'm in the process of setting up a new 180 and it will have a 4-5" DSB in the main display and another in the refugium. I think they look great and do a seriously good job of keeping water stable.

10. SwimsWithFish

Yeah I read that. It's interesting.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Yeah its still coming from crevices in the rocks even though I shook em off best I could in tank water before adding them to the new tank. I do have a DSB in my fuge I don't know if I had mentioned that in my previous post. I got rid of my Goby and pistol shrimp when I ditched the sand bed too. I probably could have kept the Goby but I didn't want to deprive it of the ability to dig in sand.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

My shrimp goby and pistol shrimp hardly come out, infact I've actually never seen the pistol shrimp since I put him in the tank and the goby has found a new home that faces mostly towards the back of the tank. He only comes out at feeding time with my Nassi snails. :-( Also not even sure if the shrimp is still alive, I just assume he is since nothing else in my tank has died and my cleaner shrimp doesn't act like anything is dead in that area so I assume he's alive and tunneling happily

They were kinda a waste of money IMO