Sand or No Sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Ashevillian, Dec 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

So all the workers at every one of my LFS recommend no sand, it just collects detritus, that being said I am wondering what you all think and am about to decide on siphoning out the sand to keep a cleaner tank, but my first thoughts were always that the sand helps with little critters among many other things. just not sure why they all would preach no sand beds!

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Hrmm that's a tough call. When I switch he'd tanks I went bare bottom and I love it. Beings that you aren't switching tanks it will kind of a pain to get it all out. I still find sand in my tank and its been almost a year since i switched tanks and this never even had sand in it lol. One word of advice though don't do it all at once because that will cause problems.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I have lots of beneficial bacteria and fauna living in my sand. I would hate to think what removing them would do

5. Ashevillian

malac: why do you prefer no sand?

tom: i agree that the sand is a nice place for organisms but at the same time it collects a lot of nasties

6. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

after reading shimeks book on sand beds, i have never looked at sand beds the same. i believe in them now with everything thats in me and would never have a tank without it. ;)

ps increase the flow on your tank and the bubbles will go away

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. Ashevillian

lol i really cant increase the flow without blasting away the sand because it is such a fine grain

i already have a 320gph hydror return pump and a koralia 1050(750gph) powerhead in my 29g biocube.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I like the way barebottoms look and I don't have to worry about dunes forming because of flow or anything. I also didn't really have a choice with my tank being only 12 inches deep and all the flow I wanted lol. Its easier to clean up too I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

im runnin bare bottom right now and im thinking of switching to a DSB to help with nitrates and what not, also the top 12" of the tank is completly blank, so im using the DSB to lift up my rockwork and use more of the tank if that makes any sence. but then again, grass is always greener on the other side.

11. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

I am in the process of removing my sand bed. I picked out crappy sand and crushed coral mixture. It is so dirty and nasty looking. I have started running bio pellets so this may offset the bacteria I will loose from the sand. I am just going to siphon it out when I do water changes over the next few months... Ease it out :) but already I am loving the look of clean. Just my 2 cents.
    Heidi

12. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I thought about doing this myself.I just like the look of the sand and that is the only reason I have not started to remove it yet.