Sand on Ebay (?)

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by omard, Jan 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Great deal on South Down if you can't find it locally. I picked up 15 bags from a guy in LA for 15 bucks a pop. Nice stuff, thanks for the link...

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

oops, I didn't answer your question, no, no problems with it other then its small particulate size (some call it silt down). I use it in several systems I mantain and in all my invert systems at work.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

The information and it's layout was very good. Seemed upfront and honest. A good deal as good sand can be very expensive. The smaller the grains of sand the more volume area for bacteria to propogate and inhabit.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Actually ran down ebay "source"/"seller" to a LFS in Boise, Idaho.

Have had limited experiences with LFS's but this looks like a pretty nice place:

Idaho Saltwater Emporium

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Owner ("Chris"") says he bought 3 pallets of the Southdown sand some time ago for his customers, to sell rather then the repackaged very pricey "Carrib" version of the same stuff.

Pretty thoughtful.

Have bro-in-law who makes regular trips to Boise, so should be able to get by the shipping costs even. Bypassing Ebay, that makes the $11.99 a bag really a bargin.

Note: Note, Boise also home of "GARF" - might just be worth a "purchasing" trip one day..Jackets, you interested?

Rgds,

OmarD

PS: From site: We offer Free Field Trips for Preschool, K-6 and 7-12! If you're just curious, feeding time is promptly @ 2:00 p.m. for the sharks and stingrays daily. We invite all to come and enjoy.

Let's go! ;D

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

ive had no problems with caribsea thats part of my sand bed another part is south down they mix ok together also

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I sell To that shop once in a while, great people to deal with. Definitly give Leroy a buzz at GARF if your going to be in the area.

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

RE: "...Definitly give Leroy a buzz at GARF if your going to be in the area..."

GARF visit a must. -

Will do in Spring...easy weekend drive (but not this time of year)...

Will plan to visit both. "Chris" at shop a very personable guy. - Want to see "Sallly Jo's" tanks first hand. (and of course take along some transport containers for anything that looks like in belongs in my tank)

Om

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Way cool and jealous I'm not closer!