Sand from Marco Rocks

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Nvizn, Jan 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

After having it for 3 months, and getting ready to upgrade the tank to a 90, I am not going to get Marco sand again. I rinsed the living $%^# out of it, and even 3 months later if anything stirs the sand, my corals get covered in the near vicinity.

And no one around me sells any aragonite sand, even Lowes. The LFS, just have live sand, and I don't need that, so online to another vendor I go! Who, hmmmmm?

2. Click Here!

3. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

You were warned on the Marco sand. :-/

1 person likes this.
  4. bowe0587

bowe0587 Astrea Snail

I just started adding the Marco's fine sand, starting to think I should have gone with "coarse" this stuff is like super fine sugar, I don't think I'll be able to see me rocks for a few days, and I only added 20 lbs. I didn't rinse it because I couldn't figure out how to without all the sand washing down the drain. I guess it's best to leave the filter and powerhead off overnight at least. I still have another 20 lbs to go, but I need to get the rest of my rock in first

5. bowe0587

bowe0587 Astrea Snail

so I didn't rinse first, is it safe to turn my hob filter on after the dust settles, or should I remove the scum film off the top first?

6. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

You may run the filter to aid in clearing the water.

7. bowe0587

bowe0587 Astrea Snail

I've had the Marco's for about 2 months, wasn't having too many storms until I added my diamond watchman, kinda looks like someone dumped some milk in my tank. I'm gonna give it a few weeks to clear up, really wishing I had rinsed it before adding it, but I'm hanging in there

8. Click Here!

9. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Just wondering, I used the fine sand and I adjusted the powerheads so they didnt stir up the sand. The sand settled and my tank cleared, but I swear, I think I have moving dunes around my tank. No cloudiness, just moving sand. Would using some larger grain sand on top end that?

10. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Highly likely. Unless, something ends up stirring up the top to expose the bottom. After 1.5 years on this 150, it's reasonable, but still not acceptable enough that I would use this sand in the future.