Sand Choice

Discussion in 'Sand' started by mati_L, Jul 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lxwarr30

lxwarr30 Plankton

Hey Mati

Check out the post where someone used a saw to cut the rock sot he bottom was a flat surface. Then it will rest perfectly on the bottom. It was really cool. If you're going to go all out on this I think you should find that post. It might change the whole way you think about your rock.

2. Click Here!

3. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

really ?? cut the rock base, wow that sounds possible but maybe too much work, i need to look for that post that might be a good idea

Thanks

4. Surfin C

Surfin C Astrea Snail

Lay a sheet of acrylic (which is cheap) on the bottom of the tank and put the rock on top of that. Works perfect. then put rock down and then your sand if your going all dry which i would do and then add your water and then after you put the water in add some live rock or even just some coralline shavings to seed everything sand and all

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'd use the egg crate idea, and get rock and sand from reefrocks.net. They have a great deal if you buy 30+ pounds of rock you get 40 pounds of RINSED sand(which is a huge plus in time and water) for $15. Granted you need more, but its still a great deal there. Plus they dont skimp;)

reefcleaners is great too
    marco has good rock but the sand SUCKS

and I'd add about 5 pounds of LR to your system, more LR = more problems maybe, lol

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Ahem.... This thread is just a bit dated... like 14 months. I'd like to hope that Mati L's tank is stocked and thriving by now. :D

7. Surfin C

Surfin C Astrea Snail

hey cosmo i saw that you ordered some sand and rock from reef rocks... how did the sand work out is it good? thinking about doing that deal with the rock and sand for my 90 gallon... would you recommend it?:-/

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I already know he does :) I have their sand and rocks in 3 different tanks and highly recommend them! As mentioned, the biggest advantage is that the sand does not need to be rinsed. It is also fine enough for any kind of sand sifter, but has different sized shells mixed in as well.

10. Surfin C

Surfin C Astrea Snail