Sand Choice

Discussion in 'Sand' started by mati_L, Jul 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

As you guys know if you read any of my post, i am starting a 72 bow front as my first reef tank

Sand choice? i dont want fine sand that will blow around with flow..a BB doesnt seem appealing and DSB sounds like trouble?

so about 2" of sand ? but what sand, should i buy LS from my LFS ? or mix live and dry? live sand seems expensive for the amount i need

2. Click Here!

3. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

When I started my 40 breeder.it has about 2 inches of sand I used a mix of live and dry, I wouldn't buy all live thats way more expensive just buy dry and enough live sand to seed the tank. Are you going to use cured LR? or baserock?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Buy sand in the 1mm to 2mm size range. No need for live sand; see if you can get a cup or two from local reefers or maybe even you LFS.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed... It really doesn't take much live to seed a dry sandbed.

6. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Yeah i was planning on going with a mix of LR and some Dry rock, im not so sure how many pounds yet, i really want to fill the tank nicely... As for sand yeah that sounds like what i had in mind, some live sand to seed it but the dry sand, where can i go get some ?

7. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

another question, the placement of the rock ? should i place some eggcrate under the structure then sand ? or sand then rock ?

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I would go with 70-80 lbs or start with half that amount and work your way up.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You can find dry sand in a variety of sizes and even colors from most any LFS or online outlet. As for placement, some use eggcrate or a DIY PVC rack under the rocks, and some place the rock directly on the bottom of the tank then fill around it with sand. The main object is to keep burrowers from tunneling under the structure and possibly causing it to collapse.

11. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

I had the idea that it is better to put in all the rock at once and have that structure set then add the coral, but then i dont know much i go based on what i see so... 80lbs or so then add as my tank matures right? im thinking a pound of LR for ever 2 or 3 pounds of dry ? or something along those lines

12. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

The idea of placing the rock on a bare bottom, glass, doesnt sound very safe right? i mean with the sharp edges of the rock that means the weight is evenly distributed, all focused on sharp edges of the rock...im think eggcrate i dont like the look for pvc in the tank as i seen before unless those chose not to hide it but then does this interrupt anything for a burrower?