sand blowing

Discussion in 'Sand' started by flyfshrmn98, Jun 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flyfshrmn98

flyfshrmn98 Astrea Snail

So I just set up a fluval edge and added the sand and although still cloudy, can see where the hob filter comes in the sand is blowing around and has a nice hole. I was told it was not fine sand and it didn't appear to be but clearly it is. I am planning on adding a nano powerhead eventually so I'm wondering if I should take out the sand I can get to and replace it? Or should I cap it with something a little heavier? My sand bed is about an inch deep

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Since you just started the tank, I would pull it out and find something heavier.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

are there any rocks in the tank at present?
    becuase when you add the rock work, you may find that will alter the path of the water coming from the HOB filter

at present with nothing between it and the sand bed, it is going straight downwards and moving your sand
    once the tank is stocked a bit, this will not be the case IME

Steve

5. flyfshrmn98

flyfshrmn98 Astrea Snail

I put the rock in first then the sand so it wouldnt shift later. I was thinking about adding a rock where the hob outflows onto the sand to deflect it or taking out as much as I can get and getting some aragonite or somthing heavier

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What size tank and what size tank is the filter rated for? Is the tank full to the top? Any powerheads?

7. flyfshrmn98

flyfshrmn98 Astrea Snail

Fluval edge 6 gallon with standard hob filter it comes with. I have it running about medium flow right now and not blowing as terrible. No powerheads right now

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. Sounds like the suggestions given are your best bet.