Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by jkirven06, Sep 25, 2013.
Join 3reef now to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.
And awesome you answered all my questions. Thanks a lot.
Question, while treating the fish in the QT tank (with Cupramine), is it okay to have a piece of live rock in there to help maintain some type of biological filtration? Reason i ask is I have read that having live rock or sand in a QT tank could give the bacteria a place to hide. But also am trying to keep the fish from going through ammonia/nitrite hell. Of course I will be running constant tests and steady water changes but Im just curious if it would work as piece of mind, or if it would make curing the Ich more difficult? Thanks,
No rock, pvc pipe. Properly made up salt water left to mix over night will be fine to do the water changes with and you will need to do the water changes. You can get an Ammonia badge to place in the tank.
Seachem. Ammonia Alert
Rock is porous and will lead to problem maintaining the proper Cupermine level.
Awesome thank you. Got the fish in quarantine last night. started them on cupramine. Now get to play the waiting game. I picked up the only copper test kit the LFS had, its an API Copper test kit. It says it tests for Free or Chelate Copper. Does that cover Cupramine? I know Cupromine is Ionic..I am not sure if that is the same as "Free" however could not find a different test kit. Thanks for all the help
Here is a nice link addressing test kits and treatment.
Copper - Treatment, Use, Problems
Thanks that helps
I would recommend using a Seachem or Salifert copper test personally.
Thanks, that's what I picked up (SeaChem) It is way better than that API test. The API test read 0ppm Copper when I was actually at .25 according to SeaChem. Had to overnight it from Amazon but it was worth it. Now I have added the 2nd dose of Cupramine to make up the total of .50 mg/l so just gotta monitor the copper levels and do my water changes(I ordered one of the ammonia badges that Corailline suggested) until the Ich is gone and the main display is safe. I'm curious, does anyone know if it would be safe or stupid to bulk up my cleaner crew in the main tank during the Fallow? Obviously, with no fish I don't really need them at full capacity right now but I wouldn't mind taking this time to increase my inverts. Just curious if it would be safe considering the whole Ich/Fallow ordeal. Just curious, thanks
On the upside all the fish are already looking better. Most of the ICH has started to fade and fall off (obviously I know its not over but nice to see a little progress since the quarantine and copper treatment).
Separate names with a comma.