Salvaged Acros and monti, think they'll make it?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Magnus, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Looks like you're on the right path my friend. I'd get that sg up to .025. But keep up the good work! One day it will all just click and you'll be kicking yourself for being confused. LOL :)

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'll do that. Tomorrow I'm doing a WC in the morning with a little more saltier water. Wonder if there's a salinity calculator somewhere out there.... I'll google it. What I'm thinking is that different salts are probably formulated with different salinity. I'll see what I come up.

I dosed the Calcium chloride in 2 different days and my calcium is actually a little higher than the calculator predicted and is now at 480, but no precipitation. Maybe my water change will take care of the extra calcium. All other tests are still to be administered.

I'm getting closer... wish me luck!! :)

- Mag.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

leave it alone. that 480 will drop by itself over a weeks time. IMHO

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sounds like you are just about there.

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thanks! I hope so. I haven't been able to test my levels in the last 3 days or so but I'm really dying to see what has happened to my calcium and alk. All corals seem to be coming back, slowly but steady. Zoas have popped several new heads and acros are getting their colors back.

I'm really anxious to see what my tank has stabilized on, if it has. But I think, with all the help I have been getting from everyone, that I'm definitely going in the right direction. From building the sump/fuge to upgrading my bulbs to adjusting my chemistry. Things are starting to go from frustrating to interesting and fun again.

Thanks again for all the help 3reefers!!!

- Milton.

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Testing results... finally ;)

Hello, guys and gals! And welcome back to the wonderful world of "what do I do next to keep up with my water chemistry levels!?"... afternoon edition.

So, in today's show, we are going to be able to see how far on or off target will all this dosing of things will take your tank!
    Are you not excited!?
    Are you ready!?
    Well, here we go!!!:

Temp: 78 F
    pH: 8.2
    SG: 1.023 (this has misteriously dropped from 1.024 even though I added saltier water!! Crazy!? Well... maybe.
    Amonia, nitrite, nitrate: STILL AT 0 !!! Yay!!
    Magnesium: Dropped from 1500 to 1380 ppm
    Calcium: 450 ppm (After careful dosing of calcium chloride.... )
    dKH: 11.5
    Phosphate: Still undetectable !!!! Let's give it up for Seachem's PhosGuard!!! Which I run in a media bag as follows: 4 days on, 4 days off as recommended on the label!

I hope you've enjoyed the update as much as I will enjoy your feedback!! If not... well... I still enjoyed making such a silly update post!! Yayyyy !!!!

Thanks for watching!

- Mag.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Good news! Hey are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? Ambient temp will effect both but it will a hydrometer more. I believe anyway but could be wrong. I do know that sg varies depending on temp. I use a refractometer with automatic temperature compensation and keep it calibrated using a solution. Got it on Ebay for 25 bucks shipped. If you're interested I can give you the sellers name.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'm using a refractometer. It says it can be calibrated with plain RO water. But I'm sure that wouldn't be absolutely accurate.... definitely more affordable :)

I'll see about the calibration thing once I get some moolah! :)

What do you think about my other levels? Is mg normal at that level or do I need to add already? It wasn't coming under 1500 before, but after the water change it did. I'll measure today again... just to see and update over here. Those posted above are readings from yesterday.

- Milton.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Maybe the 120 points drop in mag caused the drop in sg. ? I'm confused because from you're saying it should be stable or rising. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.
    The calcium and alk are in a good balance. Don't dose them at all. Your mag is good too but you will have better control over the other two if you can get it back up to 1450-1500. But if I were in your place I'd probably give everything a rest and just do daily testing to see exactly how much of each of the big 3 are being used then go from there.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good to see the numbers come down. Don't get the salinity drop either.