Salvaged Acros and monti, think they'll make it?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Magnus, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

just remember bud, especially SPS corals, that brown is usually not the true color. With good husbandry they all turn a nicer color with time! I have some brown zoas that are reverting back to baby blue! Alot of sps guys will by cheap brown colonies and two months later have a tri color or oregon tort

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Like NightRida said..if your water stays very good you're going to be very suprised at the score you just made! I've seen alot worse than most of what you have come back with some TLC. Way to go brotha!

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Oh!! Thank you! This is very exciting! I believe it is a good score. I'll take care of them and maybe see them grow beautiful. Very nice and rewarding. I've seen all these frags today and all opened and most of them had polyps fully out by lights out. So I'm very optimistic about this. Can't wait to see what my new lights can do too, so it's going to be a documented growth thread, I think. I just gotta make sure I'll have a camera handy at all times ;)

Thank you for your support!

- Milton.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Oh, hey.... just to make sure.... what are the best parameters I'm shooting for here? In a way that these frags will recover at a better rate... feeding, any advice?

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The SPS don't need to be fed. Good light, good flow. I like to keep my calcium 440, Alk 11, Mag 1450-1500.

They won't like direct flow so try to get broken or intermittent. I don't have any wave makers so I use laminar flow with crossflow through it. It causes a very nice swirling turbulence in my tank that the corals seem to really appreciate.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Mag here's some shots of an SPS of mine that was subject to a test of how well it would stand up to being Mailed USPS Priority which usually takes 3 days. It was mailed to me from Washington, 1/2 way across the country. I recieved it the first week of March. The first pic was taken a week or so after I got it. It was in pretty bad shape then.

[​IMG]

The next pic is was shot on 5/09. Just a little over two months after I got the Pavona. See the difference good parameters and tender lovin' make. ;D
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Nice score....I think you are gonna be lucky with what you've got...it looks like they have a good chance at making it for you.

nice job!!!

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

OK, I will double check my parameters today, and see where I stand. I checked them not long ago, but I've been adding Mg with my top off water. I figured that mixing the epsom salts in the 5 gallon top-off water was the best as it would gradually get incorporated in the tank. So I'll come back with my current readings and see what I can add or do to make it so they can recover and thrive sooner.

reefmonkey, That pavona frag took off since that first picture. I can tell already that some of mine will also make it. They got fleshy again and they're extending their polyps fully. I think they'll be just fine!

Thanks for all the help and motivation!

- Mag.

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Well, here are a couple update pics, I believe this fuzy stick is doing very well:

[​IMG]

And this other one, I think some kind of stylophora that's doing very well:

[​IMG]

If you'd like to see the rest of the pictures, check it out here:

05232010 pictures by Miltonga79 - Photobucket

Thanks! I'll try and get my readings. I just can't stop watching "Blue Planet"!!!

- Mag.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Look real good for discards, I think you are going to have a nice cheaply fill tank with some great looking corals.