Salvaged Acros and monti, think they'll make it?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Magnus, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

sweet! how our the corals responding to the nice water parms? mag usally is 3x calcium level to in NSW.

400 calcium = 1200 mag
    450 calcium = 1350 mag
    500 calcium = 1500 mag.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

All corals seem to be coming back very slowly, with the exception of one of the acroporas that may have been to late for it to pull though.
    Zoas are popping heads every 2 days, acros are coming back in general. My season greetings seem to be sick though. I can see it's started to bleach on the exterior edges of the frag. Any advice on this one? IT also has some green algae on it that's making little bubbles. I've seen the pics here before. It's a bad algae. It's only on the frag plug, which tells me the other 3 zoas that I got from that same woman may start with that little algae outbreak.

Anyway, any advice on the seasons greetings frag?

- Mag.

PS: I'm very tempted to dose some magnesium chloride that I got a little bit ago.... I think my salt may be a bad batch. It always drops mg and calcium when doing water changes. Even after you let it mix for a good time with the tank water, I still get lower readings on those when I WC.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

If it's on the edges there's a good chance that it's new growth considering it's a plating monti right.? No matter how bad the acro looks leave it in your system and don't throw it out. I've seen alot of different types of sps make amazing comebacks while cruising these forums. If the algae in question is on the plugs only I would suggest taking them out and doing a manual cleaning in a container of tank water. This may rid the algae and will definitely keep you from accidently spreading it in your system.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Good deal! I have a very soft bristle tooth brush I can use to scrub that algae out of the plug.
    Yesterday's reading were as follows:

temp: 79F
    SG: 1.023 (I'm adding 1 gallon of super saltier water today in 2 or 3 doses to try to close that gap)
    pH: 8
    amonia, nitrite and nitrate are still 0
    magnesium: 1370 ppm
    calcium: 455 ppm
    Alk: 11.7 dKH

What I've seen is that my pH swings from 7.8 to 8.2 every other day. Magnesium seems to be dropping slowly but calcium is balanced between 450 and 460 ppm. My alk also goes from 11 to 12 and in between.
    Maybe it is still trying to find the balance? do I just leave it alone and watch?

- Milton.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

those are good numbers.. just add a little more salt with next top off. and let it be for 1 week. retest again. you'll go crazy and run out of test kits fast, testing water parms everyday.. once a week is about what I do myself.

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Picture update coming soon. I just don't like the way the lights affect the coral's color...it makes them look too white to the camera... they look fine to the nakid eye :p

I'll go take some now.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Glad to hear all is coming along. I agree with reefmonkey on the monti. Another good tool to remove algae is a pair of tweezers that have flat instead of milled faces.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Picture Update!!!!

[​IMG] Side View
    [​IMG] Front View
    [​IMG] Sun Coral maybe?
    [​IMG] It doesn't look like it, but there's a watermelon shroom on the left of that frag disk and an unknown zoa on the right that I got from John Maloney. It doesn't open much, but we'll see if it grows now with the better water parameters.
    [​IMG] My Xenia tree is doing pretty good :)
    [​IMG] These look blue in the picture, but they're purple mushrooms.
    [​IMG] On the top left: BLue ridge coral check below the picture where he was doing not so well. Top Left: Green Star Polyps or Starburst coral?
    [​IMG] This is when the Blue Ridge Coral and shrooms were not doing so hot. Still recovering, but looks better above. All polyps are fully out :):)
    [​IMG]My Green Frogspawn also recovering slowly.
    [​IMG]Unidentified crazy looking green zoa. Help with ID would be cool on this one, and also any of the unidentified corals ;)
    [​IMG]Tubs Blue zoanthids. They outgrew the plug in a matter of 1 week and Just place another disk next to it to see if they creep up on it :)
    [​IMG]Unidentified red polyped zoanthids (single head). Sorry about the bad quality pics guys. I know these are no help at all :(
    [​IMG]These Unidentified Zoantids have also red polyps, but the eye is hot pink where the single head is some psychodelic mix between light blue and purple.
    [​IMG]Green Hairy Mushroom. Just found another one growing in a rock about 8 inches from him! How did that happen?
    [​IMG]Assorted Unknown Zoanthids. The bottom branch has green polyped and orange eyes. The bunch at the top has Red polyps with Yellow eyes/orange eyes.
    [​IMG]There's also the one in the end I really like how it looks but don't know what it is. It's just mixed there in the bunch.
    [​IMG]Above is a Stlylophora (I think?) from the rubble bin. I'ts not really all that great. I have it at the top where it's brigther. At the bottom of the picture, another bunch of unidentified zoas, these have green with pink and orange eyes.
    [​IMG]From left to right: Single head Radioactive Green Candy Cane, Unknown acropora in the center and another unknown acropora on the right.
    [​IMG] Seasons Greetings. The edges are starting to show some white. It wasn't in good shape when I got it, but it was free. I'm hoping it will pull through.
    [​IMG]Yet, another unknown acropora. This one has little green tentacles that come out from the body.
    [​IMG]Yes!! One more unknown acropora. Most of these I got for free, so I don't know what the names are. Please help me ID them. I'll re-post all this on the "DI this" forum later.
    [​IMG] The ones at the back are also stylophoras. They seem to be very, super slowly recovering. But I can't say they have made a lot of progress.
    The single stick at the bottom of the pic, mounted on the plug is dan Acropora Rosaria that is slowly dying off. I think this one took a real hit when my alk went trough the roof and I'm almost positive it won't make it. It looks way too white to pull through.
    [​IMG] Finally, in the back there are some unkown acropora that I got also from the rubble bin at my LFS as discards. They seem alive but they don't extend their polyps. In the front of the pictures you can see my Tri Color Tortuosa Acropora. THis one is now slowly recovering and I can see how it has recovered some of the blue color.

Sorry for such a long post!!

- Mag.

EDIT: To help me ID the unknown Corals, please visit this thread:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/id/several-unkown-corals-please-help-me-id-them-92116.html

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

sweet, everything looks 100% better.. you got alot of frags since the last time ive seen your pics.. good job!

1 person likes this.
  12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thanks Night-Rida!! I uploaded bigger pictures in the "ID This" thread. Check them out in the link at the end of my first post and maybe you can give me a hand ID'ing some of the acros or zoos!

- Mag.