Saltwater Tank Questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Guest, May 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I've got to move my tank copperband and I;ve decided I'm going barebottom, but I will be putting starboard on the bottom to reflect light and to keep the light in the fuge from going in the tank. I just can't deal with my sand causing me not to be able to get adequate water flow. I'm always blowing away the sand.

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=Newbie;num=1085651413;start=30#40 date=07/02/04 at 10:47:23]

Here John:
    http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Product;action=display;num=1037824626

I told this guy they are noisy, but he didn't listen to me.[/quote]

I was really more interested in the filter MEDIA. As I understand it Copperband has a completely 'bare' tank, no sand, no rock nothing just water and fish. I was simply going to warn him that he needs to take a lot of care with the filter media when he cleans it, that was all :)

Anyway, I never listen to you either ;-)

John

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=JohnO link=board=Newbie;num=1085651413;start=30#42 date=07/02/04 at 20:19:59]Anyway, I never listen to you either ;-)
    John[/quote]

HAhaha [smiley=laughing016.gif] [smiley=laughcry.gif]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

even though the tank is bare with just fish, i miss the fine sand, live rocks encrusted with coralline, corals, clams, and all the stuff that was in my reef tank.
    [glow=red,2,300]arrgghhhh[/glow]

i'm using the filter media that was included with the tetratec.

despite being very noisy, one thing good about the tetratec is that you can put other media such as good quality carbon or phosphate removers into the 4 filter pads.
    but that is also possible with the aquaclear (hot) filters.
    one can do that with filter bags.

but if i had to do it again, i wouldn't go with the tetratec simply because it makes too much noise.

i might go with a different filter setup soon.

i am thinking about using a red sea prism protein skimmer (hang on the back) if it fits under the canopy. other hang on the back skimmers might be the cpr.
    i'm not interested in the skilter (hot) filters.

i need to find out which ones will clear the canopy.
    any reccomendations for excellent hang on the back protein skimmers that will clear most canopies?

and if i can find a excellent hang on the back protein skimmer that will clear the canopy, i am considering an ehiem 2224 canister filter.

are eheim canister filters good?
    is an ehiem canister filter ok for a saltwater tank?
    any problems with a canister filter in a salt tank?

another possible hang on the back filter is the ones that has a built in protein skimmer with mechanical and chemical filtration all together. i think there is a filter like this and it is made by via aqua.
    it's got everything i need and hangs on the back.

has anyone heard about this filter or has this filter?

::)

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Copperband link=board=Newbie;num=1085651413;start=30#44 date=07/04/04 at 01:45:02]despite being very noisy, one thing good about the tetratec is that you can put other media such as good quality carbon or phosphate removers into the 4 filter pads. ::)
    [/quote]

I did something similar with mine. I actually removed the pads and put a filter sock with carbon in it. Periodically I just replace the carbon.

You can turn the surge off at night on the Tetratec. That's what I do. I think you know that though.

I've had Eheim canisters before and they are great. However it's my opinion they are not the best for fish only salt tanks. Again I will bring up a wet/dry. Sounds like you are about to add a bunch of equipment on the side of the tank causing clutter. Wet/drys are much less intrusive and you put hardware like heaters and skimmers in it. I believe I mentioned that too.

Filtration wise on a fish only tank you will not beat a wet/dry with typical filters. Unlike a canister, except for the expensive wet/dry eheim canister, wet/drys will introduce tons of oxygen in the tank. I suspect your current setup does not. I think that Tetratec is too small on a 50. That and one powerhead is not much current or oxygen exchange.

Many people aren't happy with the Prism. You think the tetratec is loud? Wait until you get the prism.

AquaC skimmers like the Urchin in the sump of a wet/dry would be good for someone like you that doesn't want to constantly adjust stuff.

Many of the 3reef sponsors have great deals on wet/drys. Or check out: Web Aquatics

You should start listening to me. I've made all the mistakes you are making.  ;)

matt

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=Newbie;num=1085651413;start=45#45 date=07/04/04 at 09:11:40]
    You should start listening to me. I've made all the mistakes you are making.  ;)

matt

[/quote]

Nice one Matt, we like our mentors lowering themsleves to our plebian levels!!
    [smiley=bouncylaugh.gif] [smiley=laughy.gif]

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah you're right, it is pretty low. My bad. (I hate that expression!) I'm just worried about his fish and want to save him some time and money. :p

Oh well. To each their own. lol.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

"You should start listening to me. I've made all the mistakes you are making.

matt "

As subtle as a brick :)

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=copperband link=board=Newbie;num=1085651413;start=0#3 date=05/27/04 at 10:51:47]Hi,
    Thanks for reading and replying to my questions.
    I don't want to do an overflow with a sump either.
    I just want a bare tank with fish.
    Just a heater and outside filter.
    Possible?
    Will the fish be ok?
    ::)
    [/quote]

IMO, no they wont :-(

John