Saltwater Tank Questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Guest, May 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

The LFS was a small little hole in the wall for a store front but he had a warehouse space filled with tanks with fish and coral and they all were bare tanks.

This LFS is not a proponent of plenums either. They also were adamant about using US made lighting, that the import stuff was junk.

IMO he had a little bit of a 'tude, but then, he had been in the business for 22 years. Experience is experience. I'm new to all this reef stuff...my experience lies with freshwater tanks. [smiley=yaknow.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Copperband link=board=Newbie;num=1085651413;start=15#29 date=05/31/04 at 11:40:57]A wet dry filter with an ouside overflow sounds good. are there any that can fit a heater inside as well?
    [/quote]

Most do. Shouldn't be a problem.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks for the info. i'm planing to go with just a hot filter and 2 powerheads for water circulation.
    i'm going to add the fish and see how they do.
    hopefully, they should be fine because i think i'm only going to have 4 fish in the tank at the most.
    i plan to do regular water changes and add rodi water for evaporation.
    haha, i think the guy with the 'tude with the imported stuff isn't cool. there are plenty of imported aquarium products that are better than local made stuff. hey, if someone can build a better product and improve our hobby, then i'm all for it. regardless of where is made.
    ::)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

is this ok?
    a bare tank with a hot filter and 2 small powerheads for circulation. regular water changes and rodi for evaporation. ::)

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Sounds like a plan to me... [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I am also going to go pretty light on the fish population. Maybe another tank sometime. This one will be mostly reef, coral an critters and anemone etc.

I agree about the import products...if it works better I'll be using it.

HHMMMM Nap Time [smiley=sleeping.gif]

Catch y'all on the flip side!!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Copperband link=board=Newbie;num=1085651413;start=30#33 date=06/01/04 at 02:04:48]is this ok?
    a bare tank with a hot filter and 2 small powerheads for circulation. regular water changes and rodi for evaporation.  ::)[/quote]

Well you know my opinion. Seems like you are sticking with what you want to do. I hope you get hardy fish at least.

8. Click Here!

9. kya

kya Plankton

Help!! Having problems with ammonia in our 125. Not overfeeding, the fish think they're starving now.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=kya link=board=Newbie;num=1085651413;start=30#36 date=06/01/04 at 20:01:59]Help!! Having problems with ammonia in our 125. Not overfeeding, the fish think they're starving now.[/quote]

Start a new thread in the ASAP board and please give more details about your setup, etc.. ;)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

latest on the bare fish only tank........
    it's been setup for almost a month now.
    50 gallon black back
    with one powerhead and one tetratec 300 (hot)
    filter.

the only thing i don't like about the tetratec is the noise
    i should have got an aquaclear 300 (hot), those are quieter than the tetratec!!

i've just been adding rodi freshwater to top off the evaporation of water. did two 5 gallon saltwater changes. and just changed the filter media on the tetratec 300 (hot) filter.

two 20 watt fluorescent lights on timers.
    a full actinic and the other bulb is a 50/50 actinic
    daylight bulb.

the tank is a fish only, a gold stripe maroon that i've had for 2-3 years, a majestic angel, and a blue damsel.
    all 3 fish are eating frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and frozen shrimp cut into bite sized pieces.
    all the fish are eating and healthy!!!

the bare tank is so much easier to maintain and keep clean than my old reef tank.

i love it!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!! ::)

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

What sort of filter media do you have in the tetratec?

John