Salt

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Salty, Dec 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Salty

Salty Guest

I have a 30 gallon fresh water plant tank. My LPS told me that my fish would be healthier if I added a bit of aquarium salt to the water. They suggested, that on my first 5 gallon water change I add 3 tablespoons of salt. At every other weekly change, I add 1 teaspoon. I figured they knew what they were talking about.

Since doing that I have lost many fish ( neons, my catfish, my placo, a sword, plus God knows what I haven't found yet. My plants are also doing very poorly. I just finished a 10 gallon water change with fresh water only.

Did I do something wrong or was it bad advice from my pet store ?

What are your thoughts ?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

In a community F/W tank I never used aquarium but un-iodized Table salt at 1 Tbls per 5 gallons keeps their slim coat good and lowers the problem with F/W ich. But aquarium salt will work as I also have used the iodized salt over the yrs also with no problems I'll always like to know where the weak link is or find that edge. Like racing a car or boat if you are out on the edge of out of control then you will never win.. But you have to know the limits.

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

you cannot and should not use salt with those species. FW bottom feeders, especially like plecos and loaches and corys do not take well to salt dosing. Besides that, you should never dose salt on a plant tank, thats asking for death. I would only recommend salt additions for livebeareres, goldfish, afrian and some central and S.A. cichlids.

also, what kind of aquarium salt did you use? Rock salt or marine salt?

1 person likes this.
  5. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

I agree with you ReefPlayground...never use salt with any type of bottom feeders...it is true that it helps with slime coat, and against bacteria, but generally only in livebearers, goldfish & cichlids...but make sure you use aquarium salt ONLY & if you have a combo of bottom feeders & the approved fish I would cut the recommended amount (on the box) in 1/2 & dilute it in water FIRST, then add it to the tank with every other water change...its supposed to be a preventative, but its not a gaurantee...

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

In my experience, the only things that like salt are livebearers. When I tried it, my corydoras and tetras were not happy.

7. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I add aquarium salt to both my FW tanks and have always had good success. I don't do the full amount that is recommended though. I do about 3/4 the dose. I do have corys plecos, live bearers, angels, shrimp, frogs, tetras, and a few other things. I will agree though my plants do not like it! As long as I don't mind not having live plants it is good.