salt wont mix in

Discussion in 'Salt' started by stepho, Feb 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Hey I am using the last of my IO salt and I am having some trouble getting it all to mix in.

I left it in the barrel with the powerhead running over 24 hours and it hasn't all mixed in yet, there is still quite a bit at the bottom. Salt is at 25 ppm. I was thinking since its the last of the bag, maybe its some minerals or something that settled into the bottom and aren't dissolving easily.

Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Have you stirred it back up into the water column? Sometimes the salt that has crystallized forms what seem like little cubes at the bottom and need to be broken up by hand since the pump will take a long time to erode the formation.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is a possibility. I never use a pump to mix my salt water because it allows clumping and thus the problem you are having. You will most likely need to use something else to stir the remaining mix up.

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I have stirred it up with a stick and moved the pump to keep it in circulation. This isn't clumps its grains that aren't dissolving. Old cheap salt maybe the problem? It's just regular io salt.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

6. trapstar991

trapstar991 Feather Duster

i always use hot water or really warm it dissolves alot of the little specs at the bottom

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

IO does this from time to time - get another bag and you might not have this problem. Some of the salt crystals form harder little clusters and dissolving it is a royal pita !

I use to ignore the scraps at the bottom - never let it drop into the tank. I switched to red sea and my reef seems happy for it to - mixes perfectly and every bucket is gives me the same results....really pelased.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i heat my water to 78 like my tank before mixing in the salt

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I too would think your water is too cold.

11. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yeah +1 previous posts..but i always had a problem with this salt, it drove me crazy so i quit using it..

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Hey so I know I am new to this but I wil throw in my 2 cents...

So I would make sure the water is warm first.
    I mix my salt in a different way I guess compared to the rest of you guys, but I will share my secrets. I went to Lowes and bought a 18 volt cordless drill and went to the paint department and picked up a 1 3/4in Paint Mixer and went to town. I had all my salt mixed and ready to go in no time...

What do the rest of you guys think about my idea? The entire setup costed $35.00