Salt Sediment?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Caspian, Aug 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

So I'm using Instant Ocean (standard) and I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the bucket, and I'm getting some strange sediment like substance that wont dissolve. It appears to be salt like in structure but even through an hour of mixing the moment you turn the pump off it will settle out and rest at the bottom.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

are you adding small amounts of salt to a large volume of water? as that is the correct way

if you are adding salt and then filling the bucket with water, you are experiencing calcium carbonate precipitation, as there are to many ions in the small volume of water for it all to dissolve properly

Steve

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

If humidification has gotten into the bucket it would also have the same effect, adding VERY little water to large amount of salt causing some crusties that will not dissolve normally. Happens a lot at the very end of the bucket just throw it out and start fresh. If you are scraping the bucket than the amount of salt you are wastign is probably only a gallon or so worth not a big loss

5. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

no I fill the bucket with water then slowly add the salt to the water, but I'm gonna go with the humidification issue as it seems the more likely. It's time for a new salt bucket anyways so it's all good.

6. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

I think it is clay or some kind of anti-caking agent. It won't cause any harm, but just looks unsightingly. The only salt that I have come across that does not do this so far is tropic marin.