Salt mixing quick question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by smellsliketuna, Sep 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. smellsliketuna

smellsliketuna Plankton

Can I dump the 5g of already mixed saltwater into my 34g tub and let the tub fill up the rest of the way with 0TDS RO/DI and finish mixing the rest of the salt after it has filled, or will this cause problems possibly with something precipitating out? Anyone? thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That will work just fine. (just don't forget to add the extra salt). :)

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Shouldnt be an issue. Make sure your levels are correct before you make any moves. One thing you could consider is filling your tub with water and then adding the salt with a power head. This is what I do and it works well.

5. smellsliketuna

smellsliketuna Plankton

thanks guys, also can anyone tell me the reason why you need to mix saltwater in a separate tub then transfer to the tank? I attempted to mix my first batch in my tank (nothing in it at all) and had a horrible outbreak of calcium carbonate that precipitated out onto everything on the 3rd day, had to drain the tank and start fresh :( i've done lots of researching today and yesterday and was just wondering why mixing in a separate container is in fact beneficial?

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hmmm... that's interesting. Perhaps you just didn't have enough flow? With a completely bare tank, you should have no problems. I've done that myself several times. The problem with mixing in the tank is generally related to having substrate and rockwork/decorations where the salt has places to settle and take an extended period to mix.

Obviously it can be detrimental if you have live sand/rock or livestock.

7. smellsliketuna

smellsliketuna Plankton

It seemed strange to me as well since I was advised by many that this would be OK to do... I think I may have been mixing at too high of a temperature Red Sea Coral Pro says 77F and I was closer to ~80F for 3 or so days. I had plenty of flow my mag 7 on full blast and 2 evo 750s running the whole time