Salinity tester & Refractometers

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Land_Fish, Apr 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Re: Salinity tester & Refractomers

I used to use one of those type hydrometers years ago when I had a fish only tank and they seem to be pretty accurate, You should be able to use the one you have as long as the scale in it matches what you need for a marine salt levels ;).............................. John

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

The hydrometer I've got is a triple scale the S.G. scale is from .990-1.170 which should work , then it is crossreferenced to percentage and a scale used in wine called balling. The idea is that you could make your wort and check the sg and it would give you a good idea of what the alcohol % would be when it fermented. I remember the sg scale being very accurate.

Thanks for your input John................Drew

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I think they are accurate at a certain temp... off the top of my head I think it is 76 degrees and if not that temp you will have to use your math skills.

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Gee the books on making beer didn't say that, or maybe I was sampling my own product.. [smiley=drunk.gif]

I guess with the blue refractometer from PA I wouldn't hve to worry about that. Auto temp compensation and all that. Know of a calculator out there or the formula for compensating for temp? :)

Good to have you back Nautilus!! :D

6. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

7. Chris Jones

Here, as always is a good write up by Randy Holmes-Farley.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2002/chemistry.htm

This is an IMPORTANT passage in that write-up:

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that many aquarists quoting a specific gravity measurement for their tanks do not know what standard is being used by their hydrometer. Most quality lab hydrometers will have the standard used written on them or their supporting documents. Some hobby hydrometers, however, make no mention of the standard used. Note that there is NO "correction" table that can convert readings at temperatures other than the standard temperature unless you know the standard temperature. If you don’t know it, using such a table will not give accurate values, and may give a value farther from the truth than the uncorrected reading.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Good to be back all.
    Thanks for the links there Chris.
    RHF is my hero :D

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Nice work there Chris...I agree with Nautilus about RHF. He has written some great stuff that even beginner's like me can utilize immediately.

11. Chris Jones

Just doin my part, you know, giving a little back to the community [smiley=sunny.gif]and all that.
    You know, for some reason I like your Posting personality there DX7 [smiley=crazy.gif], enough that i've gone out of my way to search [smiley=computer.gif]for things you are asking about. I'm glad to do it, and I end up learning in the process, so it's all good! [smiley=beer.gif]

12. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I toast to you and my hollow leg too!! [smiley=beer.gif]

Thanks for the research!

Karma to you and all in View!!![smiley=biggrinbounce.gif]