salinity Opinions

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by APC, May 30, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Hi All,

I am interested in everyone's opinion on what salinity level to strive for. I have always tried to keep my tanks around 32 ppt (right around 1.024 on the good old instant ocean hydrometer). If you go by the scale on the hydromoeter, normal is between 27 and 32 ppt (1.020 and 1.024). However, I have read that the average salinity in the ocean is 34.5 ppt. Additionally, in Anthony Calvo's Book of Coral Propogation - Volume 1 he indicates that he keeps his coral tanks between 34 and 36 ppt (1.025-1.027). This is out of the normal range on the hydrometer, and higher then I would have expected. Assuming temperature is a constant (let's say 78 degrees) what salinity level do you all keep your tanks at and why? I am building a reef that is focusing on soft corals, but don't limit your answers to that type of set up. This could be an interesting topic for fish folks, or reef folks. Also, fish vs. reef may play into your decisions??

Thanks

Adam

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

4. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

1.026 constant at 79 degrees, full blown reef