Salinity level?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by norg., Dec 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hey guys,
    For my three gallon I recently purchased a new light which has vastly increased the amount of corals I can keep. I recently have really fallen in love with many sps and lps corals so I plan on finishing stocking with mostly these coral types, but this arises a question... What level of salinity do these corals like to be kept at? I have read alot about corals but I havent seen too much reguarding salinity levels at which they do best.
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. Click Here!

3. RustyShakleford

RustyShakleford Feather Duster

i would put it at 1.025

1 person likes this.
  4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I would do 1.025 too BUT in that size tank be very cognizant of evaporation etc as a SG fluctuation in a 3gallon are extremely easy to do and SPS hates SG fluctuations.

1 person likes this.
  5. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I keep mine at about 1.024-1.025. But like Peredhil said above watch for evaporation because with only three gallons of water the littlest thing could throw it off.

Good luck with your setup!

1 person likes this.
  6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Claic, that clown in your avatar is awesome. Is it yours? Sorry to go off topic.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Maybe like 1.024? That gives me a little bit of room with salt levels. I am tinkering with a diy ato so hopefully that will help keep everything where it is supposed to be.

8. Click Here!

9. ddaasshh

ddaasshh Spaghetti Worm

iive been researching and i keep hearing 1.024 is go. it sounds like the lower the better i guess.

10. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

i shoot for 1.024-1.025

11. weboddity

weboddity Astrea Snail

If you use a refractometer (recommended), please make sure it's calibrated correctly by testing clean R.O. on it and seeing that it is indeed at 1.00 or 0ppm.

Minutes ago I didn't think that my refractometer had any reason to be off of its previous calibration done months ago, but I tested my water and was falsely alarmed because the reading was 0.003 higher than was accurate! In seconds I was able to put R.O. water on it, see that it read 1.003, keep looking while I adjusted the screw and bring it down to 0 where it should be. Now my salinity is less scary than I first thought it was, though I still am going to leave the laptop to correct it from its accurate reading of 1.027!

12. Trigger01

Trigger01 Plankton

Peredhil it is a Picasso clown, pic is by Helfrichchick on reefcentral.