Safe paint for inside of tank?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Ryan, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

I am redoing my 1" bulkhead drain plumbing from all threaded/barbed fittings to all slip fit fittings. The treaded fittings/barbed fittings only have a 3/4" inside diameter, whereas the slip fittings have a full 1" inside diameter.

Unfortunately I cannot find the one fitting I will be using inside of tank in black. Is there any paint that I could use to paint this fitting black that would be safe for my tank?
  2. Click Here!

3. footballdude2k3

footballdude2k3 Bristle Worm

personally if its just for aesthetics, i wouldnt do it, the less foreign objects in a tank i.e paint, the better
  4. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Thats what I was thinking as well....I was just wondering if there was a safe solution.

Im sure after a few months I wouldn't even be able to tell it was white anyway...
  5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

why don't you look into boat paint, they have paint specifically designed for the bottom of boats, I guess you could use that, or at least look into it.
  6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Whoooa...:eek:

Bottom paint for boats is heavily treated with zinc and lord knows what other heavy metals and toxins to reduce marine growth...

Not a good choice for a marine aquarium....:-/
  7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

woops, didn't know about the marine paint
  10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I personally wouldnt paint anything around or near, much less, inside the tank. I know that some of you guys would disagree with me, but Im a firm believer that the tank is a big sponge. It absorbs everything around it, like windex, pine sol etc etc. Luna
  11. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

If this is a clear material, wouldn't painting the outside black provide the same results ?

\Cheers
  12. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

the "meer thought " of painting the inside of a fish tank ? with any thing' even if were to buy a water based paint' you'd have it scrape off when trying to scrape algea off the inner walls.. ( look like a tank from hell ) after bout a month. ( imo )
    bad idea i should think.