S.W.C.D. off canister filter

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by david, May 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I am tring to set up a swcd off my fluval 304 my question is, if I do this will the canister filter have enough gusto to drive water thourgh 3/4 inch pvc? or should I reduce it to 1/2 inch
    Does anyone know? Ever done this before?
    Thank for the help!!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well the SWCD isn't threaded so it's going to be hard to put reducers on it. What is the GPH on the FLUVAL?

4. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

gph on the fluval is 260GPH for the 304 model ... hagen does not give a flow vs. height chart on their site or box so i am guessing the 260 GPH is at 0" of head

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Matt, I would reduce it after the 3/4 inch hose coming off the scwd I would use 3/4 in. hose barb to 1/2 slip fitting? and run 1/2 in. pvc from that.
    I almost have it all put together now for 3/4 pvc going to 1/2 in. loc-line tubing at the very end. As soon as I get it up and running, I'll tell you guys how it works. I don't need much flow because I'm already running two maxi jets on a wavetimer.
    Which is almost too much already. I am just going to have the two returns from the scwd going dia. across the back glass.
    Oh! :eek:
    Speaking of the wave timer. Cheers ;D to Aquarium Systems.
    I bought a wave timer from e-bay and fried it somehow. So I called them up and asked if I sent it to them if they could repair it cheaper than buying a new one. They sent me a brand new one free!!!!Now that is customer service.
    they are alright in my book. YEAH ;D

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow.. good deal!
    Since you got your SWCD fitted, might as well try it, eh?
    It's supposed to work with low flow.. probably get longer delays.. but may lower flow overall with back pressure.. curious to see what you find out.

7. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Well it took me awhile but I got it all up and running and wow it works great I was worried about the flow being cut but it is just as good just switched back and forth!!
    Here are some pic of the unit on the front of my tank.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

And the loc line I used on the ends this stuff is great!

Attached Files:

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool David. 8)
    I bet that will help a lot.
    Do you hear much noise coming from it?

11. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Wow my computer is running slow lately? Is there something going on in cyberspace?
    But no matt not a sound the only noise from the tank is from the bio-wheel spilling into the tank and when the maxi jet 1200 turns on it chatters for a second. the swcd makes no noise at all.