?s on setting up the cichlid tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Sadie, Mar 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

So I have donated the 4 fish I had in my 33 gal. I did leave my Pleco in there because I was told it would be fine with the cichlids. (is that true?)

Here are my questions:

1. Does the type of substrate I use depend on the type of cichlids I get? I see some are from rocky areas while others prefer sediment-rich rocky habitats and others like the open sandy areas. Is it personal prefrence that determines black or white, sand or pebble etc?

2. I just bought a heater for the tank, if I plug it in and set the temp for 80, will it heat it too quickly for my pleco? Or should I turn it up 2 degrees every couple days?

3. Right now I have the natural color small river stones in it. If I remove all these and add the rocks, will it stir it up too much? Should I replace the water and start with fresh? Or will it be fine when everything settles?

I think that's it for now. Any info would be great!! Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

What type of pleco do you have?

I alot of people like sand for cichlids, but I don't think the fish will care too much if you have gravel, assuming its not sharp rocks. it's basically preference.

4. Sadie

I don't know exactly what kind of placo it is. I can try to gret a picture. He lives in a cave.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

The reason I ask because if its your standard pleco, it gets 2 feet long almost and is not suitable for a 30 gallon tank.

6. Sadie

I know he only gets 6" long. That's why I got him.:) But I don't know what kind he is.

7. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I've had african cichlids for ten years. My big male 7 stripe frontosa is that old, so I have a little bit of insight. Cichlids are easy.
    1. I use the Carib sea rift lake substrate. It's supposed to help buffer the water, which I feel is more important. I too have a pleco, I wish there was an equivelent algae cleaner for my salt tank. I never have to clean my cichlid tank's glass, EVER... all because of that one fish.
    2. I'll prbably take a little flack for this, but I've never run a heater on the cichlid tank.
    3. I don't know what you mean about river stones. Are you talking about substrate? Or rock work? I've found that Mexican lace rock works real well for these fish.

The most important thing with african cichlids that I'e learned over the years, is that they have a strict diet. Bloat is real, and before I researched it on the net, I just thought my fish were getting sick and dying because of water quality. For the past 6 years, I've only fed the fish vegitables and thera +a and have never had a bloat episode since.
    Stick with proper ph buffers and lake minerals for cichlids with water changes, and feed them the right food and it'll be the easiest tank you've ever kept.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. chumslickjon

By the way, there's some really cool dwarf african ciclids that would be really good for your tank. Some of the shell dwellers in particular.

10. Sadie

Here is a pic of my tank

[​IMG]

The substrate is pea size. I was thinking of taking this out (I can use it in my 100 gal fish pond) and I was thinking of getting the black sand that has the live bio stuff for cichlids. I wasn't sure to go with the sand or the pea size gravel.

11. chumslickjon

You can get some sand sifting cichlids if you go that route. They're pretty cool.

12. Sadie

looked at some of the dwarf cichlids, but I like the malawi mbuna the best so far. Are there sand sifting ones in this group?