Running a Sump & Refugium together

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Reefbuilder, Jan 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

All -

I have decided I definitely want to incorporate both in my set up. My Sump is in the basement. Should I build the fuge in the basement off the sump and have the return water from the fuge to run in the last compartment of my sump where the return pump is - to avoid filter sock / skimmer etc?

My thoughts are I want to be able to get some copepod's back up into my display tank -

OR do I want to use an additional overflow on the DT and have the fuge under the tank upstairs with a small pump directly into the DT?

Does anyone run both and have opinions?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Reefbuilder

Okay - found some pretty good reads in here on the Fuges. So for the stand I built for my sump - I can put the fuge on top -

So with my return water - I can use a wye with a valve to give a little flow direct into the fuge - with the main flow going into the sump.

Then my "new Fuge H20" I would then run to the pump side of my sump to go back in the new H20 supply to the DT?

I have fears of putting the fuge upstairs for the overflow issues -

I would like to "hope" to contain any issues into the Sump.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I would think anything like that would work.

Lots of ways to do it.

I sort of have both in one- seems to work for me.

My DT overflow goes to my skimmer chamber, which flows to my Chaeto area, and to my RP area.
    I don't use anything else really, no sand, no LR, etc. (I have lots of LR in my DT).

5. Reefbuilder

Here is the fuge I was able to pick up - so looking at it - I think it will work perfect if I put in the wye on the drain pipe then a valve to control flow into the tank and the overflow I will pipe into the pipe side of the sump.

Attached Files:

6. Reefbuilder