Run Away PH

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by scottmwoods, Apr 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I thnk your ca+ should rise slower I"ve been told, that is if you dosed the difference or it was a difference in the teats/reads?

I agree with the advice you have

2. Click Here!

3. scottmwoods

scottmwoods Spaghetti Worm

I have tested the PH with a test kit. Not just the APEX. I think the APEX is reading low on the PH.

The ca i dosed with to bring it up is what I does everyweek after the water changes. Nothing more than a normal week does of ca.

I was thinking the samethang for the kalk. But need that to dose for the alk and ca.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

If things in your DT are doing well, I'd leave things status quo.

Ph's of 8.4 are considered good, or so I thought.

I've currently got mine up to about 8.3

5. scottmwoods

I have one hard coral and 1 soft coral that looks like it is getting burned. That is why i'm a little concerned about it. I will post a pic of them when I get home from work today.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

You shouldn't raise Ca by more than 50ppm per day. Moving it 150 is asking for trouble and precipitation.

What/how are you dosing for Alk? Using Kalk? I can't help but wonder if you're overdosing it, which would drive pH up and cause calcium carbonate to precipitate out (making Ca drop)

7. scottmwoods

I'm using a 1.1 ml/hour doser with 3 tespoons of kalk mixed in a gal of OR/DI water. with about 10 min of dose an hour. Total dose for a day is about 4 ml. that keeps my alk at 9 threw the week. the ca drops from about 400 to 300 threw out the week.

8. Click Here!

9. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

sounds like you need a calcium reactor to keep your levels where they should be.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Are you sure that's not a 1.1 ml/min doser? Which would be 264ml a day with your program; not 4.4.

Also, 3 tsp per gal is a bit much and probably beyond saturation which usually occurs at 2, maybe up to 2.5 tsp per gal.

I think you're dosing a lot more than what you've intended.

11. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

Wouldnt that make his Ca sky rocket? he is having troubles keepin his ca in the 400's, or am i missing something?

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It could cause calcium carbonate precipitation, which would cause Ca to drop to a low level.

If there's a chalky-white residue or substance building up or collecting somewhere in the system, this is certainly what's happening.

With the lowish demand this tank should have for Alk/Ca (based on the amount and type of corals which it contains), using kalk should be more than enough to keep up.

Something isn't working as intended with the way things are.