RTN! Help

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by kcbrad, May 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Alright don't take to long you never know, Might come back to a white branch :lol:

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Seems like it!! it was fine this afternoon and now it has A LOT of white.

4. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Best off saving what ever is alive & Throwing out the rest. Suck's but it happen'd to the best of us ;)

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Good luck!!! Keep us updated on the progress!

- Mag.

1 person likes this.
  6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

thanks, I'm sorry too!

It's in high flow and the calcium is 500, magnesium is 1350, alk is 8.5 and no major temperature swings.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well, I'm about to frag it right now. I was told by my LFS dKH of 8.5 was okay for only having two SPS in the tank. I can work on raising it.

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Kacy – First, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this.

RTN is contagious, most people just pull the coral. People refer to this as RTN Disease…its not a disease, actually it stands for Rapid Tissue something or other….basically, fast tissue die off for “whatever the reason”. Often times this is due to swings in parameters; salinity, ph and temp etc. when ATO’s fail and the like. Stopping the progression is very hard to do – so I agree with the advice in this thread … cut it off as if fragging that section. Then make sure the tank is and remains stable.

The reason it spreads is really unknown, but the speculation I have heard over the years is toxic secretions from the rapid die off or some sort of infectious bacteria or bug or whatever.

I hope it works out well for you – take a few pictures of the progress and if (hopefully) successful you can post a thread of the occurrence and what you did to save it as to help others faced with it in the future. Good luck !!

Still Grumpy ?? gotta work on that girl ! I suppose this isn't helping tho...hang in there !

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Try to frag as far away from the dead tissue as possible. I've had to do this before and even though I fraged a seemingly healthy piece, the frag still RTN overnight. Also, I think your Alk is fine, your Ca is too high in relation to the dkh. For example a balanced Ca and Dkh is about 420ppm Ca and a dkh of about 9. My dkh is always around 8-9 and I have a lot of sps with no problems. IMO, a dkh of 12 is the upper limits of where you want it. Anything from 7-12 though is acceptable and as mentioned stability is key. I believe natural ocean water only has a dkh of about 7.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yeah I read somewhere about ocean water and dkh and it was somewhere around 7 I believe. That's why my LFS guy told me 8.5 is fine. My Ca is really high...it used to be off the charts. I don't know what's up with that.

Anyways, I couldn't save the stylo. The RTN was so vast by the time I cut away all the white I would have been left with nothing. Ugh. :(

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

IME getting your mag up to 1450-1500 will give you better balance in calcium and alkalinity. What your LFS said is true but alot of ppl (me included) like to drive calc and alk up higher. I keep my alk at 11, calcium at 440 and magnesium at 1450-1500. A dip in either calcium or alkalinity tells me it's time to test and more than likely dose mag.

1 person likes this.