Royal Gramma is Scratching

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by tarheel, Feb 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

I have noticed my royal gramma scratching his "forehead" on the rocks near his cave lately. There are some small visible places on his head that look like he has rubbed off the first layer of skin. They are still the same purple color so you can't see them even if I could get a great pic of the fish. All my other fish seem fine and even the effected one still eats like a pig with no other abnormal behavior. I do weekly water changes, and feed a combination of flake and frozen mysis/krill once a day. Lights are on 8hrs daily, I did add a solor fairy wrasse about a week and a half ago but I wouldn't think he is stressing the gramma as he keeps to himself. Any advice??? If this is harmful or treatable I want to catch it early.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Click Here!

3. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

could be an early sign of disease,maybe something like white spot. other than that im stumped too, i wouldn"t say he is stressed.

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Fairy Wrasse and Royal Grammas dont mix. I had a Gramma kill two Fairy Wrasses until I learned to remove him. Gramma is a very territorial fish.
    Good Luck

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

The gramma will most likely recover without any medication. Keep feeding him a varied diet, keep up on W/Cs and try feeding some garlic extract with the food such Garlic Extreme by Kent or similar garlic additive.

The nice things about grammas are they are fairly disease and parasite resistant so with a little attention he should clear up all by himself. Your next thing would be to determine what stressed him, new fish? Improper husbandry? Was HE new?

Good luck and happy reefing!

6. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

Gramma is not new, I probably introduced something with the fairy wrasse. Don't think the wrasse is stressing the gramma, if anything it should be the other way around, but they swim happily together now and have set up homes on opposite sides of the aquascape. Guess I will just keep up proper nutrition and hope he is as hardy as I think he should be.

Thanks Dr. Fragenstien for the on topic reply.