Royal Gramma has Ich

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by bwahaha, Feb 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bwahaha

bwahaha Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks :) I'm personally also glad that the RG didn't mess with the firefish upon introduction, I've read that they do that

2. Click Here!

3. bwahaha

Okay, well... My LR structure fell. I had to rebuild it and turns out my RG was in one of the rocks i was constantly moving around. I took a break and put the rock on the sand and two minutes later he swims out COVERED in little white spots... No sign of the firefish but I know he's in there somewhere... This looks bad, I had no idea Ich could occur this quickly, unless it's something else...? Please help ASAP

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Does it look like grains of salt?

If it was a parasites like Brooklynella or Amyloodinium the fish would be dead by now, so I am inclined to think Cryptocaryon irritan (Ich).

There must be some reason/stressor contributing to the fishes continued active infection. Enough time has pass that by now the parasite should have fallen off the fish.

5. bwahaha

I can't tell at the moment, he and my firefish are both hiding in the live rock. It just looked like little white dots all over the fish. And yes, the parasite did fall off of him. He's looked completely clear since a couple days after I first made this post. My question was how could this come back so quickly? I realize the moving of the rock would stress him out but enough to immediately show signs of Ich again?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Something most likely is still causing stress like new tank syndrome, aggression, nutritional issues......How is the temp on the tank? What about the basic chemistry, SG, NH3, NO3?

Remind me again how old the tank is and how big.

7. bwahaha

I guess I can't rule out stress, I don't know what would have been causing it though... There's been virtually no aggression, I feed marine pellets with garlic (looking into getting some frozen food for once or twice a week), the temp is always within a degree or two of 80, and last time I tested there was no ammonia or nitrites, very little nitrates, and SG of 1.025. The tank is still pretty new, it was set up very early in January. It is a 36gal Aqueon Bowfront.
    Tank Inhabitants:
    *4 hermit crabs
    *3 Turbo snails
    *2 skunk cleaner shrimp
    *1 royal gramma
    *1 firefish

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

so sorry to hear this :( I saw you post and was hoping you had updated your progress....Can you get a picture of the fish??

10. bwahaha

I will try to get pictures of the fish, but I am VERY confused now... So he didn't come out at all yesterday after I noticed him covered with Ich, then he swims out of an opening in the rock this morning looking completely unscathed! WHAT is going on?

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

could it be that it's just changing color (like fading) with various activities in the tank? that is indeed weird because ich doesn't just come and go like that.....

12. bwahaha

I honestly have no idea. If you say so. All I know is both my fish inhabitants look completely healthy at the moment, if a bit more skittish than usual.