Royal Gramma has Ich

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by bwahaha, Feb 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bwahaha

bwahaha Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm new to this hobby so I have no idea what to do. I woke up this morning and theres like five little white spots on his face and tail. I just got him :cry: do I take him back to the pet store or what? I have been feeding with marine pellets enhanced with garlic, I thought this was supposed to help? I think that with Ich if one fish has it, the whole tank has it, correct? I'm so scared how do I treat this? Keeping in mind that I have no quarantine tank available

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. bwahaha

Note: Tank also contains one firefish and one or two hermit crabs. Would a cleaner shrimp help at all?

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Marine Ich is not a death sentence. If you do a search in the forum you will find many threads with great advise. If the fish are still eating then keep then some people recommend soaking their food in a garlic supplement to help boost their immune system. As long as they are eating I wouldn't get too concerned yet. You could move them to QT and treat them but the added stress of the move may make things worse.

Start with a search and do some reading.

5. bwahaha

They are still eating vigorously, so I guess that's a good sign? Occasionally my firefish will spit some food out and then eat it again. As mentioned before I have no access to QT tank... So basically for now I just keep an eye on them?

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Keep an eye on them, and I like to use some selcon to soak their food in. Eating is a good sign.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

garlic will not affect ich, it can enhance the food to increase eating. At this point with no qt, you want to reduce stress (definitely do not add any more livestock) and feed regularly (don't overfeed thinking food will affect the ich). You can just feed normally and watch it at this point.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Do not add anything else to the tank for 2 or 3 weeks at least.
    Monitor your water chemistry for new tank syndrome.

Moved to--- Fish Disease.

10. bwahaha

Thanks you guys

11. bwahaha

So one day later, I see absolutely no sign of the Ich. He is not rubbing against the rock or anything. I don't know whether to be excited or suspicious...

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Marine Ich is only visible to the naked eye for 3-7 days. After that the parasite drops off into the substrate as another stage to the parasites life cycle.

The fish made it through the initial symptomatic stage which is good, the fish will be more resistant to the parasite the second time around if environmental conditions are right.

Your tank and fish are not out of the woods yet, and I would not stock the tank with anything but corals for awhile.