Rookie Mistake

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by zcparrott, Sep 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zcparrott

zcparrott Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So, I was at a lfs today and they had a new guy there that told me he would sell me any LR from their display tanks for $6 a pound. Score! I thought to myself, so I went looking around and found a nice pretty rock and when he weighed it at 6lbs he said let's just call it 4lbs. So, I bought the rock and brought it home and after putting it in my tank, out pops one head of Aiptasia!

I'm going to try to kill it with the boiling water method, if it doesn't work what should I do? I don't want to take the rock out and scrub it clean, but if I have to that's what I will do. What do you think?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You could take out the rock and burn it.....just another idea.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have used Aiptasia-X with great success. I would grab a bottle of that if you are at first unsuccessful.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Don't boil the rock. There was a thread (or a link to another site's thread)on here about a man that boiled liverock and sent him and his wife to the hospital.

Use the search bar at the top right corner for getting rid of aiptasia, you'll find quite a few ways to chose from.

6. zcparrott

I didn't boil the rock lol, what I meant was I boiled some water and used a syringe to blast the aiptasia with the water. It seemed to work pretty good it's a shriveled little ball now! Something else came with the rock too that I will post in the "I'd this"section

I'll have to pick up some of that Aiptasia-X just in case I spot more!

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I'm sorry I misunderstood you, long day ::). Just a heads up, that "shriveled little ball" has probably been releasing spores in your tank. Don't be surprised when you see some itty bitty aiptasias pop up.

8. Click Here!

9. zcparrott

I guess I will have to be more careful in the future when I'm choosing rock lol.

Thanks everyone