RODI or not RODI?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by powder1, Sep 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. powder1

powder1 Plankton

I am considering buying an RODI unit. After months of 30% weekly water changes using tap water I am unable to really control or eradicate algae growth. I reduced my light cycle to 6 hours, bought loads of snails and hermit crabs, tried phosphate removers which help some. I am wondering what more experienced peoples thoughts are. The water quality here is supposed to be pretty good and my fish and corals seem happy but so, unfortunately, does the algae. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Rodi is the only way to go.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

RODI definitely

5. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

some people can get away with it (about .1%) the rest of us need RO/DI water.

6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Without a doubt RO/DI.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

RO/DI gives you consistency, you get the same high quality water every time unlike tap water that changes constantly. There is no such thing as reef quality tap water, I don't care where you live or who provides your water.
    SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

You never know what the cities going to have in its water day by day, I've been using RODI for a year now and recently i didnt do the maintenance on the filters for the unit and i started to get a decent amount of algea and couldnt figure it out, after water changes and countless hrs of just deliberating i checked the rodi water and it was reading 50 ppm of tds and i was p-o'd. cant believe i didnt change them. after filter changes on the RODI water at 00000TDS and 2 water changes the algea is under control and its like i never did anything wrong.
    +1 for RODI.

10. izus

izus Astrea Snail

i am new at reef building,
    i run a small 29 gallon nano reef.
    what is you guys opinion on buying distilled water instead of purchasing an RODI system.
    i mean i change 3 gallons of water a week at 87 cents a gallon from walmart.

11. jfdean

jfdean Plankton

Absoutly RO/DI. I bought one as part of the start up costs for my 29gal reef tank. Besides for salt water I top off a fresh water tank (have noticed less algae growth) and can use the water for beer brewing by changing mineral amounts!

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

A RODI unit will end up far cheaper over the life of the unit, for better quality water.