Rocketman's 370g 5'x5' Square Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by rocketmandb, Jun 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So... your kitchen and living room are nearly 500 square feet bigger than my entire apartment! I definitely need to move...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the build thread, my LFS has a freshwater walkaround that is 5'x5'. Seeing it in a home would be awesome! Do you have any kids or pets that might cause the tank trouble? (I'm assuming you won't have it covered...)

2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

No kids and no troublesome pets. On the cover thing... I don't want to have it covered, but the problem is that I've got some jumpers in one of my tanks right now that won't last long without. I'm considering trying a mesh cover, but I don't know if that will look good.

Don't know... torn on this one.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

I'm making a clear mesh + clear frame top for my tank.

5. rocketmandb

Update:

- F#$king 30-year jumbo fixed interest rates went up 1% over the last week (OMFG***!!!!). F#$k.

OK, so that's not tank related, but still. F#$k.

- Got the architect. Meeting him at the house tomorrow morning. The cool thing? This guy knows aquariums. He designed a 12,000g (!!!!!!) into a house in Marin and had the Steinhart Aquarium build the thing. One among many others.

- I mentioned the 5'x5' walk-around to him. He has designed a room around a walk-around tank before and said we should have the space to make it happen. Needs to see it all and make a determination, though.

Another update to come tomorrow after the meeting.

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

7. rocketmandb

Well this whole house buying thing has proven to be a royal pain in the ass. However, it's almost over. We close on Friday and then start construction.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I think the idea of a full walk-around tank is dead. On to plan B. I'm definitely going with a 3' wide tank. It will be viewable on three sides. Most likely it will be a 300 (6'x3'), but I might go bigger since I've got all the equipment I need to support it. Perhaps a 400 (8'x3'). We'll see what the architect comes back with.

8. Click Here!

9. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

10. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

11. rocketmandb

12. rocketmandb

Latest update:

It looks like I'm getting my 5'x5' after all. It's not going to be a full walk-around, but it is going to pretty cool. Basically the stairs will start right next to it and two other sides will be in the entry way to the living room and in the living room itself. Should be spectacular.