Rocketman's 370g 5'x5' Square Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by rocketmandb, Jun 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Congrats Darren. Looking great! I can't let my wife see the waterfall, or I'll be looking for a new house to put one in!

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Congrats rocket! The tank looks amazing! Can't wait to see it progress. Also congrats on yet another new house!

4. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I'm sort of the opposite - I never would have gotten my wife to agree if it wasn't already there :) Though she loves it since it is already in. She also loves that it only takes like 180 watts :) DC pumps are truly amazing.

5. rocketmandb

Thanks Snook - just realized you're in Melbourne, FL. I spent almost ten years in Cocoa Beach. Was a space center geek.

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I joined right when you left here to go to the west coast... Unfortunately :( lol
    I was aware you were from here just never had the time to discuss. the whole rocket man thing and being in cocoa made me think you were affiliated with the space program here. That's neat man! I've got a friend that works up there. I really wish I could fish the area... It's phenomenal flats fishing. I just need a boat, and we all know what that acronym stands for... Lol

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

congratulations on getting the water flowing! This will be so nice when all up and running!

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Way to live the dream for us all! That is going to be one gorgeous set up.

10. rocketmandb

Update: First minor setback.

We got both the 10500 pumps running and it turns out that the head height is higher than I thought. I am not getting enough flow. I only did a rough test (filling 5 gallon bucket), but I think I'm only getting about 1200-1400 gph.

I am on the fence on what to do, but am thinking I might try the external pump I originally had on my first 185g. I would plumb that externally, boosted by one or two of the DC pumps from inside the sump.

11. rocketmandb

Tank has been running for a week and a half with no issues other than the aforementioned pump thing. I will be fixing this temporarily by using my existing pump throttled back until I can find a more power-friendly option.

Tank move takes place next weekend. Moving sump and filtration on Saturday and just keeping circ pumps going in the main tanks overnight. Livestock moves Sunday morning. I've got a couple folks from an aquarium maintenance company I've dealt with in the past along with 3reef's own Matt Rogers helping out with the livestock.

12. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Very cool. How far is your move?