Rock to aquarium gallon ratio

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by MajesticCoral, Sep 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

I found them thanks,that's where I will be getting my LR

2. Click Here!

3. cain

cain Astrea Snail

depending on the density of the rock,
    if your rock is pretty dense, you can go 2#/ gal,
    if they re pretty porous, you can go 1#/ gal.

i dont see the logic in spending $7 per # on a live rock when you can get base rocks for $1.50 a #. live rock brings plenty of pests too.

i started my tank with all base rock and dry sand, went to my local reef club to ask for a cup of live sand to seed my sand and rock. in 4 mos, my rocks are covered in coralline and without the pests like aiptasia, mojano,mantis and so on.

4. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

ive got a 46 too and i have 45 pounds of priemium live rock and it was only 109$

5. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

That's not bad,I decided to go with a mixture of base rock and cured live rock alot cheaper

6. rainmkr07

rainmkr07 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It's really personal preference. Some people like the open look with less rock, others like to pile rock from the bottom to the top of the tank.

I would recommend starting with a small amount and simply adding to it until you like the way it looks. If you start with 50lbs, you might have way more then you prefer. If you start with 10, you can work your way up!

7. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

Well I got 50 pounds of base rocket looks bleach white with tons of microscopic holes in it it really stands out nicely with the 3D cave background and the black sand I'm using,so I'm thinking next I should seed it....do I have to buy some live rock to seed it or do they sell the critters for seeding my base rock separately ,really 50 pounds seems perfect it covers the back and both sides and is set at different depths and I have a nice front platform of flat sand and there's tons of hiding places for when I get fish,corals,enemies,inverts and such.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

awesome, isnt it nice when it all strats coming along...just get a few pounds fo live rock to seed, and maybe ask your LFS for some pieces of coraline to throw in there to seed too. if you get live rock then you also get the fun of hitchhikers...the good and the bad...mostly good like tiny brittle stars and copepods, and sponges,featherdusters and if your lucky a random coral frag! yea you can get some ickies too...but chances are if you get it from a reliable soarce your only going to get the good kind of hitchhikers...and wathcing the liverock to see what tiny little critter is poking out of a little hole is half the fun...at least for me...i like wathcing the fish but i get way more amusement out of watchingcopepods chase each other all over hahaha!

10. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

No hitchhikers please
    Do they sell copepods separately then I could just pour them in the tank and they can work their magic on the base rock,I have live sand so not sure if that will help any or not since my salt reading is still high since it's only been in say 2 days

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I agree, just get a couple pounds of rock. The more you get, the more chance you have of picking up something bad though, so pick sparingly.

There's a bunch of different live pods on the market you can get to dump in there. Just don't be fooled by the tigger pods. They don't reproduce well in aquariums.

Michael Rice
    Marine Engineers
    Sent from Tapatalk

12. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

what do you mean by your salinity is still high after 2 days??? if its too high the only thing to do is take some saltwater out and add freshwater until it is correct...because it will only get higher as water evaps until you top off (unless you have an ATO that is, then it will just stay the same)...it will not lower itself if thats what you are thinking...and yes you can just buy pods to throw in...still not as fun though!!!;D